Unanswered: Senior MS SQL Server DBA position open in Alexandria, VA

There is a Senior MS SQL Server DBA position open in Alexandria, VA.. Applicants must have three years of experience and
    must have extreme skills (don't bother applying if you are mediocre because you will get destroyed in the technical interview). We have over 100 ms
    sql servers, 1000 databases, and manage many terabyte databases, and we are growing; hence if you are slacker do not consider this job. The environment is young, intense, and competitive. If you don't work hard, smart,
    and long hours you will not succeed in this environment. If you are a DBA with 10-20 years experience and think past
    achievements will substitute for hard work, think again, this is not a banking or government job; you will be ask to stand
    and deliver every minute of every day. This a 24X7 operation and you will be required to be oncall, when you are oncall
    you will not be able to leave town, get drunk, etc., i.e. you must be available 24X7.

The candidates our HR has presented to us in the past were so weak the we (DBA group) have taken upon ourselves to find
    the player who has the game to play on our team. If you have the skills send your resume to: sqlserverproexpert@hotmail.com
    We will review the resume and sent it to our HR if we think you have the talent.

PS. Our company will not pay for relocation. The candidate will be required to have an in person technical interview
    and travel to the interview will not be paid for.

Has April 1st roled around again?
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

WoW These people must be SQL Server GODS.

I wonder how many millions of dollars they pay these Guys(excluding the ReLocation Fees of course)

personaly - I think he's on Drugs

Tehe
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

First let us start out by saying....

> If you are an expert DBA that was offended by this post then we apologize.
    > If you are a novice DBA that applies for every job that has SQLServer listed in the posting this was meant to discourage you.

The initial posting probably sounded arrogant and harsh but our goal was to discourage non-DBA professionals from replying. This post was written by the DBA team, not the manger of the DBA team or the HR department. We were discouraged by the quality of candidates that applied to our "professional" post from our HR department. We figured we would try this "un-professional" approach as we could only do better. We were trying to write a post that we might have applied to, and at the same time scare away any novice DBA's.

Let us clarify, this job is not a "sweat shop" as some people might think. Do we work 80hrs a week? No. Do we work 50-60 hours a week, yes sometimes we do. (Let us know of a successful company that all the employees only work 40hours a week every week) What we do not want is a Fred Flintstone that rolls out the door after his\her 8 hour day everyday regardless of what is going on. Do we expect a new hire to put in extra time when they are first hired to get themselves up to speed......maybe....., If the new hire is an absolute genius I am sure they would be able to work only 8 hours and get things done.

Again sorry if you are offended but we want to find the right person, our HR posted the opening on the popular job websites and newspapers for 2 months, we received thousands of resumes but unfortunately most lied about there experience and qualifications and barely had any skills (e.g. did not know what an index or join was).

Our team has been frustrated by this process and the initial posting reflects this; we only want serious DBA candidates and we are not ashamed of it. All of us enjoy working here, and we want to ensure we get a candidate that has the skills and more importantly the motivation to succeed. For those who really need the work and have the skills then send us your resume. The work environment is actually a lot of fun, the pay is good, and you will be working for a publicly traded company with 99.9% name recognition in the IT field. The work is exciting and cutting edge. The candidate needs some production experience, we only judge you by your skills and willingness to work (we are not requiring 20 years of experience).

We do not expect the candidates to have the entire inner workings of SQLServer memorized, but we do want the candidates to have a general idea of how SQLServer works. SQLServer is at the point where an average user can manage simple tasks. Managing standard backup plans and index maintenance can be simple with the maintenance wizard. These wizards do not work in all circumstances and using these tools do not make a person a database "Expert".

I wish you were providing relocation and H1B...
    --
    kukuk

Originally posted by sqlserverproexp
    First let us start out by saying....

> If you are an expert DBA that was offended by this post then we apologize.
    > If you are a novice DBA that applies for every job that has SQLServer listed in the posting this was meant to discourage you.

The initial posting probably sounded arrogant and harsh but our goal was to discourage non-DBA professionals from replying. This post was written by the DBA team, not the manger of the DBA team or the HR department. We were discouraged by the quality of candidates that applied to our "professional" post from our HR department. We figured we would try this "un-professional" approach as we could only do better. We were trying to write a post that we might have applied to, and at the same time scare away any novice DBA's.

Let us clarify, this job is not a "sweat shop" as some people might think. Do we work 80hrs a week? No. Do we work 50-60 hours a week, yes sometimes we do. (Let us know of a successful company that all the employees only work 40hours a week every week) What we do not want is a Fred Flintstone that rolls out the door after his\her 8 hour day everyday regardless of what is going on. Do we expect a new hire to put in extra time when they are first hired to get themselves up to speed......maybe....., If the new hire is an absolute genius I am sure they would be able to work only 8 hours and get things done.

Again sorry if you are offended but we want to find the right person, our HR posted the opening on the popular job websites and newspapers for 2 months, we received thousands of resumes but unfortunately most lied about there experience and qualifications and barely had any skills (e.g. did not know what an index or join was).

Our team has been frustrated by this process and the initial posting reflects this; we only want serious DBA candidates and we are not ashamed of it. All of us enjoy working here, and we want to ensure we get a candidate that has the skills and more importantly the motivation to succeed. For those who really need the work and have the skills then send us your resume. The work environment is actually a lot of fun, the pay is good, and you will be working for a publicly traded company with 99.9% name recognition in the IT field. The work is exciting and cutting edge. The candidate needs some production experience, we only judge you by your skills and willingness to work (we are not requiring 20 years of experience).

We do not expect the candidates to have the entire inner workings of SQLServer memorized, but we do want the candidates to have a general idea of how SQLServer works. SQLServer is at the point where an average user can manage simple tasks. Managing standard backup plans and index maintenance can be simple with the maintenance wizard. These wizards do not work in all circumstances and using these tools do not make a person a database "Expert".

What exactly will u be asking at this technical interview. and what is the pay scale. Benifits? What do we get for giving up our lives 24/7?
    Jim

lol -
    NO NO Jim Don't do it
    (you failed the interview anyway U spelled Benifits? wrong :-))

Guy's U were right your Posting did sound Arrogant & Harsh and if it was written by a team - then I think theres something wrong with your team (Sounds more like a mind control dictatorship to me).

There is so much that I dislike about your attitude with both your original & your second posting that words escape me (but I'll continue anyway).

Re: "this job is not a "sweat shop""
    Don't get me wrong - I expect most of us put in a great deal more than the 40 Hr week - but the 40 hr week is viewed as the starting point - not 50/60

What U are asking for is a Guru that will work an expected 60 Hr Week

Will you be paying 1.5 times a Guru's Salary - No !

In fact I expect that you have no control over the Candidate's final Salary at all.

Ref: "we received thousands of resumes ... most lied about there experience and qualifications and barely had any skills (e.g. did not know what an index or join was)."
    What on earth you were offering as a Salary speaks for itself.

Anyone reading this drivle should be able to spot the warning signs

eg."The work is exciting and cutting edge. The candidate needs some production experience, we only judge you..."

Ref:"using these tools do not make a person a database "Expert"."
    Whilst I Agree with what you said I just can't help wondering what kind of experts you Guys are -

I'll tell you what - see how many new Postings YOU SQL SERVER PROFFESIONAL EXPERTS can answer in a row.

Or

You could just post a contact email address and Run Away ?

I regard myself as a SQL Server Novice (especially after reading these forums) - I'm not ashamed of it - but my technical skills aside I'd just like 2 say that - I've been too long in the Bush to be F**ked by a rabbit

Everyone else please excuse me I don't normally make Posts like this - but these Guys got my back up.

If I'm out of order please let me know

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

ROTFLMFAO!! GW, I needed that!

Like I said, is it April 1st again?
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Originally posted by Paul Young
    ROTFLMFAO!! GW, I needed that!

Like I said, is it April 1st again?
    im willing to bet that the people that are replying to this have more experiance than the "Team" that posted. I was only interested in that information to see realy what type of company the "Team" is working with. It sounds like a group of poeple out to take advantage of the technicaly advanced, but not socialy accepted and or indowed with common sence. Id say that this Big Company is running the "Team" threw the mud and not paying them a penny. And the sad thing is that the "Team" doesnt see that and takes great pride in how many db's the run and the fact that they have to be 24/7
    Well im here to say that the number of dbs u can run at one time does not make u a good dba. what makes u a good dba is that u can maintain all the information u need in the best posable way with minimal interaction. Im a great dba and I only spend 10 hours a week tops actualy doing dba work. A good dba can be used to develop as well as administer. maybe this "Team" should go back to the drawing board and figure out how to adminsiter there systems better so that they will not need a new man on deck. Just a thought
    Jim

Yeah! Start answering some posts so WE can see how good you guys are. Wouldn't be worth it finding out that this new GOD you're looking for would have to carry your load on his/her back all the time.

It is a typical of a DOT.COM environment requirement, which unfortunately I have been involved for the last few years and now happily working for a "slower" pace (like banking & gov.). They asked you to work like hell and pay good enough (including with stock <GR> ..options , or should I say pie-in-the-sky!). Problem is, if they
    think they're that Good/GOD, they should willing to take a Junior DBA
    under their wings, then treat him/her well (meaning don't work the
    DBA too hard, including Senior DBA) or someday, no matter how much $$$ they paid, it's not worth it.
    Been there, done that.