Unanswered: Backup problem - Volume Validation Error

Hi,
    I am working with Sybase 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 and have been getting volume validation errors when our sybase backup script attempts to dump the database. The dump database just hangs until I kill the isql session that runs the dump database command. The following is taken from the backup log:

Jun 3 00:10:04 2003: Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database master: 6384 kilobytes DUMPed.
    Jun 3 00:31:15 2003: Backup Server: 4.26.2.1: Volume validation error: failed to obtain device information, device: /export/dmp/Sybase-backup/fk50_prod.dmp.03-06-03-stripe1 error: No such file or directory.

The dump is scheduled to run at 00:10 each morning, dumping a ~10GB database to 6 stripe files, taking about 20 minutes to complete.

The strange thing is that the backup works for about 2 weeks and then does this again. Another bizarre thing is that the master database is backed up every 30 mins (between 01:25 and 22:55), which appears not to be affected by this at all. The only way to solve this is by rebooting sybase. After this, the script runs without a problem. Until the next time it happens...

I have read about file permissions and hardware problems that can cause this problem, but why does the backup work for a week or two before failing again? If it was either of these, I'd expect it to fail more frequently.

Thanks for any help,
    Tony

Hi again,

A little more information regarding this problem - I have been able to shutdown the backup server, restart it ok, but then when I try to run the backup script, I get Msg 7210:

Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP' because 'set up channel' message could not be sent.

Has anyone received this message and been able to resolve it? The write up in sybooks isn't too helpful - Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server problem. Perform any diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error to your System Administrator.

There is no 'diagnostic action' indicated by the message.