Unanswered: using DTS daily or as and when required

Hi,

i need some one to help me by an idea..

need to import remote mssql-2000 database to local mssql-2000 database every day or as and when required. how could i solve this issue? idea is badly needed now.

Thanks

Re: using DTS daily or as and when required

Originally posted by alo
    Hi,

i need some one to help me by an idea..

need to import remote mssql-2000 database to local mssql-2000 database every day or as and when required. how could i solve this issue? idea is badly needed now.

Thanks
    I'd suggest using DTS, and store the created DTS script in the database (the final option on the DTS wizard). Then you can rerun the DTS package whenever you want.

Originally posted by andyabel
    I'd suggest using DTS, and store the created DTS script in the database (the final option on the DTS wizard). Then you can rerun the DTS package whenever you want.
    Thanks for ur kind reply. If you dont mind can u explain this a little more? i mean that i never used DTS though i have the idea. it ll be greateful to get the steps to complete this process.

With Thanks,
    alo

Refer to books online for DTS and other topics listed.
    Also for the tutorial refer to SQL DTS website.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

It's very very easy.
    Just run the DTS Wizard from the Start | Programs | Microsoft SQL Server | Import Export Data menu.
    The first page is informational.
    Teh second page asks for details of the source (e.g. a filename, or a database).
    The second page asks for details of the destination (again, a filename, or a database).
    The third page asks what you want to copy and the remaining pages depend upon this choice.
    On the final page you're asked whether you want to run and/or schedule and/or store this. Whether you run it immediately or not you should choose to store it. Then later you'll be able to go in on Enterprise Manager and see a diagramatic representation which you can then edit and rerun as often as you like, or schedule as a job.

Hi,

Extremely helped me ur explanation and i completed successfully as per ur direction and also written dts package to vb module and got all done right. I am heartfully Thanking You and wishing You all the very best.

With Thanks,
    alo

Originally posted by andyabel
    It's very very easy.
    Just run the DTS Wizard from the Start | Programs | Microsoft SQL Server | Import Export Data menu.
    The first page is informational.
    Teh second page asks for details of the source (e.g. a filename, or a database).
    The second page asks for details of the destination (again, a filename, or a database).
    The third page asks what you want to copy and the remaining pages depend upon this choice.
    On the final page you're asked whether you want to run and/or schedule and/or store this. Whether you run it immediately or not you should choose to store it. Then later you'll be able to go in on Enterprise Manager and see a diagramatic representation which you can then edit and rerun as often as you like, or schedule as a job.