Unanswered: SQL 7 to SQL 2000 on same machine

Hi,

I'm totally new to MS SQL and has the following assignment:

1. Export databases/objects from SQL 7.0, then do a clean installation of SQL2000 (Enterprise edition) on the same W2K machine

2. After the installation, import the databases/objects into SQL2000

May I know what are the correct commands to export/import and what are the things that I should be aware of?

Greatly appreciated all valuable assistance!

Re: SQL 7 to SQL 2000 on same machine

sounds like you may come from an Oracle background...

You can simply backup your SQL 7 db's and restore them into your new SQL 2000 db, keeping in mind that you will need to straighten out logins/users.

MS provides an upgrade wizard, this is sometimes handy if you are moving many db's from one server to another.

You can create a DTS package to export all of the db objects, logins and users and import them into the 2000 box.

There are also a few other options that are covered along with these topics in Books Online.

Re: SQL 7 to SQL 2000 on same machine

sounds like you may come from an Oracle background...

You can simply backup your SQL 7 db's and restore them into your new SQL 2000 db, keeping in mind that you will need to straighten out logins/users.

MS provides an upgrade wizard, this is sometimes handy if you are moving many db's from one server to another.

You can create a DTS package to export all of the db objects, logins and users and import them into the 2000 box.

There are also a few other options that are covered along with these topics in Books Online.

Personnaly I'd just ask why you can't Backup - Upgrade & Apply the latest sevice packs

It's worked fine for me a few times with no adverse results.

S'pose it depends on the familiarity with SQL Server that your Task Manager has.

Can anyone tell me of any problems encountered AFTER a succesful inline upgrade like this ?

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

aside from the time it takes to upgrade in place, it's worked just fine for me 5 out of 5 times!
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I will set up a test environment and use all the methods as suggested.

If I hit any issue, hope u guys/gals can advise again..till then, I will try it out.

Greatly thankful!

Hello,

I am instructed to do a clean installation of SQL2000 after manually removing SQL 7 on the same machine.

I tried using DTS to export/import data and select COPY tables and views from source database option (also tried copy objects and data between SQL servers).

The task was completed successfully but when I compared the source and destination DB, I noticed the followings:

1. Database size on destination server was smaller
    2. Views were not imported from SQL 7 server into the destination SQL 2000 server

Can anyone advise on this??

Many thanks

Why don't you use COPY DATABASE WIZARD which will take care of all the objects and also BACKUP/RESTORE statements for user databases.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Unhappy Copy DB

Hi,

I tried to use the COPY DATABASE WIZARD from the destination server (running on SQL2K) to copy a database from source server (SQL 7) but encounter the following error:

FAILED to create the share OMWWIZD...

Understand and troubleshoot CDW from this KBA .
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]