Thread: Seach tables

Unanswered: Seach tables

Hello everyone i have a problem.

i dont no if you can help but im sure you guys can. how would i say take a text box in vb and press a command button and make that command button get all the info for that specific partnum.

i had :
    Code:
    Private Sub cmdGet_Click()

If (txtGetRecord.Text = "") Then
    MsgBox "Must Enter A Connector Number Before Hitting Enter", vbCritical, "Error"
    Else
    Dim strGetRec As String
    txtGetRecord.Text = UCase(txtGetRecord.Text)
    strGetRec = txtGetRecord.Text

dbInven.Recordset.FindFirst ("partnum = '" & strGetRec & "'")

dbFAP.Recordset.FindFirst ("facpn = '" & strGetRec & "'")

End If

End Sub
    and it worked perfect when i was using an Access database but now that i am using postgresql it wont work. it says that the operation is not supported for this type of object. if possible please help with this question too.

BIG K

you'll have to run an sql statement against the db.

Code:
    Private Sub cmdGet_Click()

If (txtGetRecord.Text = "") Then
          MsgBox "Must Enter A Connector Number Before Hitting Enter", vbCritical, "Error"
       Else
          Dim strGetRec As String
          Dim sql As String
          txtGetRecord.Text = UCase(txtGetRecord.Text)
          strGetRec = txtGetRecord.Text

set sql = "SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE partnum = '" & strGetRec & "'" 'gets all matching records

set sql = "SELECT * FROM tableName WHERE partnum = '" & strGetRec & "' LIMIT 1" ' gets the first matching record

rs.open(sql, conn, 3, 3)

End If

End Sub

what does the
    Code:
    rs.open(sql, conn, 3, 3)
    part do

BIG K

recordset.Open Source, ActiveConnection, CursorType, LockType, Options

the Source is the sql statement, the ActiveConnection is set to conn, the CursorType is 3 (which is adOpenStatic), lockType is 3 (adLockOptimistic).

Source - Optional. A Variant that evaluates to a valid Command object, an SQL statement, a table name, a stored procedure call, a URL, or the name of a file or Stream object containing a persistently stored Recordset.

ActiveConnection - Optional. Either a Variant that evaluates to a valid Connection object variable name, or a String that contains ConnectionString parameters.

adOpenStatic - Uses a static cursor, which is a static copy of a set of records that you can use to find data or generate reports. Additions, changes, or deletions by other users are not visible.

adLockOptimistic - Indicates optimistic locking, record by record. The provider uses optimistic locking, locking records only when you call the Update method.