Question Unanswered: What's wrong with my TRIGGER?

I am creating a JOBNO using a trigger (VB front end). The code below works fine. However, when I insert a new record (via SPROCS) or manually and the JOBTYPE is not 'TAL', it always replaces the assigned value for the JOBNO to null.

I removed the trigger and my SPROCS and manual entry works fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Code:
    CREATE TRIGGER tr_CREATE_TATL_JOBNO ON [WorkOrder] 
    FOR INSERT
    AS

Declare @JOBNO varchar(10)
    Declare @JobType varchar(3)
    Declare @WorkOrderID int
    Declare @VRUTimeLine varchar(7)

SELECT @JobType = JobType FROM inserted
    SELECT @WorkOrderID=WorkOrderID FROM inserted
    SELECT @VRUTimeLine = VRUTimeLine FROM inserted

IF @JobType="TAL" 
    	IF LEN(LTRIM(STR(@WorkOrderID))) < 6
    		BEGIN
    			SET @JOBNO = LEFT(@VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(@VRUTimeLine,2) +  REPLICATE('0',6-LEN(LTRIM(STR(@WorkOrderID)))) + LTRIM(STR(@WorkOrderID))
    		END
    	ELSE
    		BEGIN
    			SET @JOBNO =  LEFT(@VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(@VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(STR(@WorkOrderID),6)
    		END		

UPDATE WorkOrder SET JobID=@JOBNO WHERE WorkOrderID=@WorkOrderID

You have to write triggers to work for multiple/single and no rows being updated. You code is only for an single row update.

Tim S

My guess on what you want follows:

I only rarely do triggers ( and then normally update triggers) so I might have many mistakes in it.

Code:
    FOR INSERT
    AS

UPDATE WO 
    SET    JobID = CASE WHEN LEN(LTRIM(STR(i.WorkOrderID))) < 6
                       THEN LEFT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) +  REPLICATE('0',6-LEN(LTRIM(STR(i.WorkOrderID)))) + LTRIM(STR(i.WorkOrderID))
                   ELSE LEFT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(STR(i.WorkOrderID),6)
    FROM  WorkOrder WO 
    JOIN  inserted i ON i.PK = WO.PK -- replace PK with the Primary key of WorkOrder
    WHERE i.JobType = 'TAL'   

-- Here my second guess; I think insert triggers might be like below.

FOR INSERT
    AS

UPDATE i
    SET    i.JobID = CASE WHEN LEN(LTRIM(STR(i.WorkOrderID))) < 6
                       THEN LEFT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) +  REPLICATE('0',6-LEN(LTRIM(STR(i.WorkOrderID)))) + LTRIM(STR(i.WorkOrderID))
                   ELSE LEFT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(i.VRUTimeLine,2) + RIGHT(STR(i.WorkOrderID),6)
    FROM   inserted i 
    WHERE i.JobType = 'TAL'
    Last edited by TimS; 06-04-03 at 23:29.

Thumbs up

Thank you for your reply.

My trigger actually works however, to resolve my problem, it was pointed out to me that I needed to encapsulate the whole sql statement after the IF with BEGIN...END. With out this, the "UPDATE Workorder...."
    gets executed no matter what.

I also see how you handled it in such a way that I won't need the IF, BEGIN..END statements.

Can you share some code samples of triggers for multiple rows? It was also pointed out to me that I may have a potential problem when bulk inserting since my trigger was designed to handle only one record insert at a time.

Thanks again.