Thread: Access Runtime

Unanswered: Access Runtime

Hello

I have devloped a project in Access and packaged it using Deployment Wizard and burned a CD. Now , if the user has already got MS-Access in their machine, I dont want to install Access runtime in their machine. HOw can i control that? How can I dynamically check the MS-Access version currently installed in clients machine before my programs setup starts running. Can anyone help me pls. I doubt it is impossible to write a code for this in VB or any high level languages.

So my plan is this, an Autorun.inf will which checks the current access version of clients machine and alerts the user to install Access runtime if it is necessary.

could u pls help me ?????

JP

why no take the easy out, leave it to the user give them the option to install with or without runtime and provide a faq that tells them how to change it if they get it wrong
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Thanks Timoney

I had thought a about your solution before. But the target of this CRM software is for small business units and home use, so, I am afraid, people may not be even knwoing what is Access runtime. Since we sell computers, we have an experience that some users dosn't care about Access which come with MS -Office Package. So I thought it is more convinient to ask my program to check for existance of Access before it installs runtime. Do u think it is too complicated to provide such a module in Autorun of CD?

Pls help !!!!!!!!

JP

Originally posted by JPainuthara
    Thanks Timoney

I had thought a about your solution before. But the target of this CRM software is for small business units and home use, so, I am afraid, people may not be even knwoing what is Access runtime. Since we sell computers, we have an experience that some users dosn't care about Access which come with MS -Office Package. So I thought it is more convinient to ask my program to check for existance of Access before it installs runtime. Do u think it is too complicated to provide such a module in Autorun of CD?

Pls help !!!!!!!!

JP
    i'm affraid i can't help in the way that you want because i have no idea how to do it but i can point out that installing RT Access along with full access has no ill effects what so ever so have your default install put it on regardless and a custom install option that gives the user the choice to install it or not and if the user doesn't know if access is instaled on their pc they probably don't care about a small amount of wasted HD space, which can always be corrected at a later date
    Last edited by m.timoney; 06-06-03 at 06:37.
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Thanks Timoney

I shall move in your way. Cant wait for other solutions

Cheeeers

thanks a lot

JPainuthara