Thread: Db2 8.1 on AIX

Unanswered: Db2 8.1 on AIX

Is it possible to have two instances one of db2 7.2 and the other of db2 8.1 on the same AIX machine. The AIX OS version being 5.

I tried installing and the install goes through fine but when i try to start the db2 8.1 instance it gives the following error
    SQL 1220N The database manager shared memory set cannot be allocated.
    SQL 1032N No start database manager was issued SQLSTATE=57019

Even upon getting the instances down on db2 7.1 and cleaning the db2 process using ipcrm command it gices the same error.

Can anyone point as to what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-Kalyan

Hi,

According to my knowleadge this is not possible.

I know some products support double version on same OS, but this kind of solution is NEVER recomended for production environment. So be careful.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Actually it is possible on Unix environments, and I don't believe IBM ever says it isn't supported or recommended...It is mentioned in the Quick Beginnings for DB2 Servers Version 8 book on page 19 only in terms of not being supported on windows.

We temporarily have both running on a solaris v880 and have no problems.

It sounds like the problem you are having is more due to memory limitations and or configuration on the box.

I agree. I have worked on plenty of unix platforms--AIX,HP-UX, Solaris, Linux--all of them support multiple versions simultaneously. Even in production, I've never found an error I could attribute to the presence of multple versions.

We have DB2 v7.2 o AIX 5.1 and I just put v8.1 FP2 on the same box (only the Client and not the server). I am trying to create a client instance with V8.1 but I get the following errors:

Program name = db2idbm
    Instance home dir = /home/symariq, Sysadm group = arcsupp
    Instance type = 4, Auth type = SERVER

SQL10007N Message "-1390" could not be retrieved. Reason code: "2".
    Update DBM cfg SYSADM_GROUP errcode = 8
    DBI1281E The database manager configuration file could not be
    initialized.

Any idea how I go about accomplishing this?

thanks

mark

From what I've read, you can install and have two versions running concurrently - however, you cannot have links to both. So if you're testing on v8 and have a v7 that developers are using, for commands in v8 you will have to explicitly specify the path /usr/opt/db2_08_01/adm/db2start ie /usr/opt/db2_08_01/cfg/db2ln should not be run. For those of you who have done this, is that true?

By default, db2 creates a link in /usr/bin (for AIX) and may be others. But, if you want to run two versions of the product you will have to remove these links, using /usr/lpp/db2_07_01/cfg/db2rmln ...

If your applications have been linked using the above link, you will have to relink your application and use the $INSTHOME/sqllib/lib directory as your library ...

This is when you want to run multiple versions of db2 ...

Most others, generally will not be affected ...

For eg, db2start, as it is issued under the instance owner (say db2v8int), the environment variables of the instance owner are used, which will be pointing to the right bin directory ....

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

So then are you saying that setting up that paths correctly in the .profile of the second instance owner will resolve this issue?

That is what I understand ...

The main things to note:

1) You cannot have your link library in the /usr/lib (my earlier post)

2) You cannot have two admin servers

3) Accessing a server from a different version of the client may(will) have some limitations which need to be understood

4) Never copy files from one version to another, like trying to use V7's db2java.zip in V8 ...

I cannot think, at the moment, of anything else ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by cchattoraj
    So then are you saying that setting up that paths correctly in the .profile of the second instance owner will resolve this issue?

Is it that for running a db2 8.1 instance i have to run db2ln from the
    /opt/db2_08_01/cfg/db2ln and my db2 8.1 instance would be up.

What would be its impact on the db2 7.1 instance , is it that running the db2ln command from /usr/lpp/...../cfg/db2ln would restore my links for 7.1 instance.

-Kalyan

Maybe correct if you want to run only one version's instance at a time ... I thought the whole point was to run both versions at the same time ...

If you want the latter, then :

It is important to ensure that you do not have any version specific files in the shared libraries .... If the other version picks it up, it will cause errors ....

If you have V7 and want to install V8, run db2rmln to remove the links ... Then relink your applications, if any, using sqllib/lib directory ... Test your applications ...

Then go ahead installing V8 and run v8's db2rmln to remove them ... Then if you are linking any applications to v8, do it using sqllib/lib of v8 instance ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by kalchak
    Is it that for running a db2 8.1 instance i have to run db2ln from the
    /opt/db2_08_01/cfg/db2ln and my db2 8.1 instance would be up.

What would be its impact on the db2 7.1 instance , is it that running the db2ln command from /usr/lpp/...../cfg/db2ln would restore my links for 7.1 instance.

-Kalyan
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 06-07-03 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s
    Maybe correct if you want to run only one version's instance at a time ... I thought the whole point was to run both versions at the same time ...

If you want the latter, then :

It is important to ensure that you do not have any version specific files in the shared libraries .... If the other version picks it up, it will cause errors ....

If you have V7 and want to install V8, run db2rmln to remove the links ... Then relink your applications, if any, using sqllib/lib directory ... Test your applications ...

Then go ahead installing V8 and run v8's db2rmln to remove them ... Then if you are linking any applications to v8, do it using sqllib/lib of v8 instance ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

My v7 is having this link libdb2.a -> /usr/lpp/db2_07_01/lib/libdb2.a
    I've installed v8 but it complained :

$ db2
    exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program db2 because of the following errors:
    0509-150 Dependent module /usr/lib/libdb2.a(shr_64.o) could not be loaded.
    0509-152 Member shr_64.o is not found in archive

So, should I just run db2rmln from v7 and that'll solve the problem ? Do I need to run db2ln from v8 ?

Advice please...TIA.

Run db2rmln from V7 - this will remove the links in the 'shared' paths ..

Then your V8 should work (as sqllib/lib is supposed to be in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, otherwise add it to the env variable ) and so will be able to pickup the library ..
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.