Question Unanswered: linking multiple tables

I did try to search for this; but came up with nothing. I don't know much about access - so be nice. I really like to keep things simple.

I'm linking tab delmted text to a products database. If I have two 'linked' txt files and they have duplicate data (product sku, different invntry qty's)- what happens? (if anything).

Also - when linking; what Data Type should I choose. It defaults to currency? If I change the Data Type, I still get #NUM! when looking at the linked info.

One last one : Can I update the 'linked' data while the database is open?

If it makes any of you feel any better; I plan to buy a 'basics' book today.

Thanks,
    John

to the top

TTT -
    Anyone recommend a better book than what the library has (had)...

Thanks,
    john

Post the SQL query. Very good book is Using Microsoft Access 2002 from Roger Jennings. It's a Bible of Access XP

?

Thanks for the book reference.

SQL Query??? This is Access 97 and I'm just trying to understand importing / linking information.

It is actually a different problem (i'm realizing). When I try import or link the data- it doesn't work because the SKU or barcode number of the product is the P Key- it won't let you overwrite P keys.

I guess I need a query that matches the SKU in the text file to the SKU in the database and THEN update some fields in that row...

If you can help; great. Otherwise, I have bit of learning to do via books.

Thanks for the reply.

John