Unanswered: How to use Sybase Anywhere 5.0

hi, i'm new to sybase system.
    i have a Sybase Anywhere 5.0 database in a pc where it's running a server IIS. i want IIS to connect via ODBC to 2 database file(i've made a several ASP pages in ordere to connect and extract/insert data to database).how i start the database in order to allow multiple access to database?
    i've tried to start the server whith the switch -x namedpipes (because the server is the same pc that the client (IIS)) and the 2 database files, and it's all ok, next i've start the dbclient whith the same switch and the name of the server and it's ok, but when i trie to connect via ODBC the system raise a connection error.
    what do i do to start the system in the best way?
    thankyou

Re: How to use Sybase Anywhere 5.0

Originally posted by jeppo
    but when i trie to connect via ODBC the system raise a connection error.
    what do i do to start the system in the best way?
    thankyou
    Do you configure the ODBC connection to use named pipes?

Personnally I would use tcpip as it's more platform independent. If your connected to a LAN you could put in the hostname or ipaddress rather than "localhost" which is always 127.0.0.1

-x tcpip{localhost:nnnn}

where nnnn is the port number.

I'm running ASA 8 (x2) on the same machine + mobilink + IIS and it works fine - even across DUN.

For IIS the ODBC connection must be a system DSN, and it's probably worth making ASA a service so that when the machine reboots, it comes up automatically. There is a sample service (well there is with ASA 8). If you need to the command line to start it, let me know.

sybase

thank for your help but my situation is more complex...i've started the server as a service and it works well, my problem (i don't understand) is that when i start the client (dbclient.exe), it found the server and connect to it well, but, whith the client up, when i trie to connect to server via ODBC it tells me that not found the server (in the manual sybase wrote that when i start a client once, i can connect to it whith one or more application (?)). when, instead, i close the client and use a connection via ODBC whith the follow connection string : "DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;UID=rtv;PWD=rtv;EngineName=server;DatabaseName =anagrafica;Agent=client;Start=c:\sqlany50\win32\d bclient.exe;DatabaseSwitches=-x namedpipes;" the connection start.my question is:is this method correct or it start a client for every connection i request? (i hope not to not overload the pc server).i can connect to the database server using a client started in precedence?(as a service for example?)...excuse for my english end thankyou.