Unanswered: Using ado recordset to fill lstbox.rowsource

Hi There,

This is probably an obvious question, but I get confused a lot lately trying to migrate to ADO.

In one database I open a connection to a second database and fill a recordset.
    Next I want to populate a listbox with this recordset. But:

lstbox.rowsource=rst doesn't work. What am I overlooking/doing wrong?

Set YearCNN = New Connection
    YearCNN.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Year(Now) & ".mdb;"

Set RSTBar = New Recordset
    RSTBar.Open "SELECT * FROM crsBar", YearCNN, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
    lstBarBon.RowSource = RSTBar 'this generates an error

LPent

The RowSource property needs to be a SQL statement, not a recordset object. Try this:
    Code:
    lstBarBon.RowSource = "SELECT * FROM [" & Year(Now) & ".mdb].crsBar"
    You might need to name the drive/path of the .mdb
    Code:
    lstBarBon.RowSource = "SELECT * FROM [C:\MyFolder\" & Year(Now) & ".mdb].crsBar"

Okay, this works but what happens if I migrate this (in the future) to an SQL server?

Could someone explain the difference between a table or query and a recordset? I always thought they were (technically) interchangeble. But since I can't assign a recordset to a rowsource in code I have come to think they are not.

If you plan to switch, you might want to use this syntax:

"SELECT * FROM crsBar IN ""C:\MyFolder\" & Year(Now) & ".mdb"""

This statement would change if you switch to SQL Server:

"SELECT * FROM crsBar IN """" ""ODBC;dsn=<your dsn>;database=" & Year(Now) & ";uid=<login name>;pwd=<password>"""

If you go this route, you can set a global variable upon system startup, with a string indicating the datasource. Use this string consistently throughout your app when building SQL statements. Then, when you switch to SQL Server, just change the assignment of the global variable.

As an alternative, you could link the tables to your application, and skip the "IN" clause.

Provided Answers: 5
    also depending on the order of the refernces you may try
    new adorecordset