authorizing client updates

I am designing an event planning system which allows the (human) client to access the event data via web page interface and modify event details.

There are some sections of data I wish to have the client provide updated information, but not before reviewing and authorizing the changes (even selecting which fields to allow).

Any ideas on how to temporarily accept the data, but hold it for later authorization?

TIA.

I'm not sure which scripting language/db you're using, but I can provide you with a basic outline of what you have to do.

If you are gathering the updated information the client provides using forms, you can use your preferred scripting language to save the data in variables using the names of the fields in the forms.

When the client presses submit, it would take them to a page that pulls the updated info from the variables and displays it in the window. This serves as a confirmation page.

If the updated info is correct, the client can authorize the changes. If more changes are necessary, the client can press the back button and edit the info.

Hope this helps.

Shak

I am using PHP/MySQL, but I am beyond the process you are describing. I want to allow people to submit changes, but I want a human to review those changes before committing them to the record.

One method I have used so far is to email the updated data to the reviewer, but that requires the reviewer to actually enter the info into the db, which is then the second time that data is entered.

I want to temporarily hold the information until review then allow the reviewer to decide what gets updated and how. At this time, I am thinking about tranferring the data into a hold table, then have the reviewer call up the data with checkboxes next to each field in order to select the data which gets updated. Also the reviewer could modify the data at that point as well in case it needs it.

Someone in another forum mentioned using transactions, but I have yet to explore that option as I need to learn more about them.
    Last edited by totem; 06-12-03 at 17:03.