Unhappy Unanswered: Database Splitter

Can someone tell me how the Database Splitter works. I have a need to have multiple users accesses and adding data to the same tables. I have been told to use the database splitter.

This all sounds to easy to me! What happens if two sets of data are entered at the same time and they duplicate data that a field will not allow.

Any other info would be apprecitated and confirmation that this is the route to take.

Many Thanks

try it on a test DB -- you'll be suprised: it's one of the gatesware features that works well.

the A-database splitter does a reasonable job but will take the wrong guess if (eg) you have a tblThisUserConfig which should be local to each user. whatever - it's easy to "unsplit" such a table with a delete & import at the frontend followed by a delete at the backend.

my view: even if you are not doing a multi-user thing -- split anyway! i often need to look at data in a bizarre one-off fashion with a query - i keep a trash frontend pointing at my backend just for this

you might also want to browse you favorite search engine / A-help / this site etc etc for stuff on optimistic/pessimistic record locking.

izy

I have now split the database and all seems to be well. There was a couple of things I needed to move to the client as I had user details that then fed into another table for audit purposes, but yep this seems to work well.

Stay glued for the next problem,
    Cheers for your help.