Question MBA...good idea?

Hi everybody...
    I'm a qualified OCP (Oracle-style) and have been doing this database lark for about 5 years. I've been pretty successful - working for some large companies implementing and upgrading apps etc. However as my career streches before me i begin to wonder the possibilities...
    One of the options i have is further studies - yet i don't really want a massive career change - i believe there is a future in IT yet! I've been toying with the idea of doing an MBA and hence moving into the 'business' side of things...
    Has anyone made this move?
    Do you think its a good idea?
    Would there be any opportunities upon completion?
    -------------------
    Any ideas would be very helpful whether you've actually done the course itself or not...
    Many thanks!
    Dan

Moving forward, ahead, whatever is generally a good idea as long as the tradeoffs in time and money aren't too severe.

At first I thought what you wrote seemed a little funny only because I came from the other direction - got an MBA and then strarted drifting over toward computers thinking "Maybe I should have majored in computer science instead of business."
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

I got my MBA first (in Corporate Finance) and then found myself in IT.

I guess my only worry is that there are a lot of watered down MBA programs out there now which have devalued the degree. Even back when I got mine (10+ years ago), my alma mater (Indiana University) was considered one of the few MBA programs which would actually recoup the cost of the investment in tuition and lost work hours. Now even Indiana University's Executive MBA program has been watered down.

I have certainly found my degree valuable, and I enjoyed taking th classes. It is helpful to be able to relate to people in different business areas in order to understand their needs and concerns. Honestly, though, if you are just looking to advance your career you might be better off getting experience and certification in Project Management.

blindman

Re: MBA...good idea?

Originally posted by boo1
    Hi everybody...
    I'm a qualified OCP (Oracle-style) and have been doing this database lark for about 5 years. I've been pretty successful - working for some large companies implementing and upgrading apps etc. However as my career streches before me i begin to wonder the possibilities...
    One of the options i have is further studies - yet i don't really want a massive career change - i believe there is a future in IT yet! I've been toying with the idea of doing an MBA and hence moving into the 'business' side of things...
    Has anyone made this move?
    Do you think its a good idea?
    Would there be any opportunities upon completion?
    -------------------
    Any ideas would be very helpful whether you've actually done the course itself or not...
    Many thanks!
    Dan
    Are you bored? How do you determine success? Money, skills, personal satisfacton, etc. I have knowledge of several Oracle DBA's that left the Corporate DBA world for smaller digs -- just because of the major corporate mindset concerning IT projects. Never enough time to do it right the first time but plenty of time to redo it a half dozen times. What Oracle Certifications do you hold? Have you considered starting your own Consulting business -- you get to experience all the joys of Business; Sales, Corporate Finance, HR, PR and then Techie stuff (if you are lucky)! OH! I'm not asking these questions for answers. I think you might benefit from them for yourself. Personally, I wish you luck! I'm less than 5 years from retirement and can not afford to turn my back on the rat race [ reckon no guts no glory ]. I eat chicken three days a week and I like it -- I do remember the days when I was thankfull for my PBJS!

Smile Thanks...

For all your informative comments.
    I guess there is no easy answer to the question of what to do to evolve and progress in your career. I just think that to sit around and effectively be 'happy with your lot' can lead to the possibility of turning round one day to see your lot departing over the horizon...I can see that an MBA isn't necessarily the answer - bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut scenario. Starting up my own consultancy would probably be a more astute move as it would give me the 'hands on' business experience required - as i said i want to progress, not change career completely. Its just a shame that the current market means that opportunities to do so a reduced at present...though it will rise again i'm sure - the future's with computers (and its associated software...)

By the way, Gerry - whats a PBJS?

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by boo1
    For all your informative comments.
    I guess there is no easy answer to the question of what to do to evolve and progress in your career. I just think that to sit around and effectively be 'happy with your lot' can lead to the possibility of turning round one day to see your lot departing over the horizon...I can see that an MBA isn't necessarily the answer - bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut scenario. Starting up my own consultancy would probably be a more astute move as it would give me the 'hands on' business experience required - as i said i want to progress, not change career completely. Its just a shame that the current market means that opportunities to do so a reduced at present...though it will rise again i'm sure - the future's with computers (and its associated software...)

By the way, Gerry - whats a PBJS?
    Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich! You are absolutely right concerning the easy answer. Our whole life is the sum of our choices. I will say that educational creditinals are part of the corporate and business world measuring stick for accomplishments. I do not think it will hurt you in any of your future endeavors but also, it will not insure success either. That brings us full circle. I would ask myself two questions -- 1) Can I live with what it is going to cost me ( money, family time, etc). 2) Will obtaining the MBA make me happy. Education will not insure success and only confuses the situation sometimes. I can say this for a fact -- starting is easy. It takes a lot of unique qualities to keep a successful consulting business going (any self employment business in IT), learning to adapt to your envirnoment, and doing what it takes to be successful.

After numerous attempts I gave up! My wife finally convinced me that I was not a people person. I have the experience, talent, drive, etc., etc. but I lack that certain person to person charisma or charm ( actually it is desire). I know consultants that are dumber than dirt in my opinion and others but they got "the talk, the walk and the smile" and regretfully they get the business.

A few simple words of advice -- if I may, never look back with malice nor regret but view the past as experience for future decisions.
    Negativity will harm you, your family and your business and it is very seductive and addictive. That is it for me -- "Be happy!" grasshopper.

Cool

You guys made me think, see I am also looking into getting an MBA. Maybe you guys can guide me some more. I would like to be a DBA, and so the problem is that i have very little experience. I do love to learn a lot, and well I want to learn more each day. How can I gain experience. In the job now I am tiny bits here and there managing a database, but still not into the hard nefty stuff. Should I consider getting a certification on my own alongside the MBA? I am awaiting word to see if I am admitted for the fall term, if not then I await winter's semester. .

ta, ta

I'm not going to discourage you from getting an MBA, but an MBA is not going to teach you how to be a DBA. When I got my MBA I majored in Corporate Finance rather than information systems because I felt that that IS was an area I could learn on my own, and because I wanted to broaden my knowledge rather than focus on something I already knew.

Your best bet for becoming a DBA is to get hands-on experience on database server platforms. I started out working on Microsoft Access 10 years ago and then switched jobs after I realized I could go no farther without experience on back-end database servers. Look for an entry level position in an IT department that uses technology with which you are familiar, as well as technologies with which you have little or no experience. Then be willing and eager to learn.

blindman

Smile The long road to DBA...

Hi Trinni - think you might be a tad confused by the anacronyms. DBA's and MBA's are completely unrelated.
    The way i became a DBA was to buy the Oracle 8i certification book (about $100 US i'd think) and work my way through each course - there are 6. When i felt ready to take the exam i bought the practice papers (about $60 each) and worked through them; if you are fairly meticulous then taking the exam itself shouldn't be too hard...It took me about 3 months to study for each exam. If you want to practice on a database then you can download Oracle Personal edition free from Oracle's website...
    On the plus side DBA skills are still one of the most sought after in IT...well they are on this side of the pond...

Cool DBA here I come

HI all!

Thanx for the guiding. Yes I figured that so I am searching now for an entry-level position. Although I haven't any luck yet. I found this online free course for examinations on michigan state's virtual learning website. I am looking into that. I do have access at home, and I am learning with some downloaded exercises. I also have an oracle software not sure what version that came with one of my classes I have not yet installed on my pc. I remember the teacher saying that there was a certain way to download it or something like that. Should I install it too and learn it as well?