Unanswered: SQL Server 2000 Dev Fails to install on winXP Pro

Hello,
    SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition has failed to install on Windows XP Professional PC. The error log below shows that there is no SQL Server Driver. I tried installing MDAC 1.6, 1.6 SP, and 1.7 to correct this problem, but SQL Server drivers still do not appear in the ODBC data sources control panel. Please help me get SQL Server 2000 INstalled. Thank you in advance for you assistance!

---begin pasted log file---
    [cut down on this message size]
    12:59:43 SetFileSecuritySQLAndAdmin for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL returned: 0, 0
    12:59:43 SetRegSecuritySQLAndAdmin for Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer returned: 0, 0
    12:59:43 Begin Action: UpdateSystemPath
    12:59:43 Path successfully updated.
    12:59:43 %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\Sy stem32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN
    12:59:43 End Action: UpdateSystemPath
    12:59:44 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -F "C:\WINDOWS\sqlstp.log" -I MSSQLSERVER -V 1 -M 0 -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" -H 524568 -U sa -P
    ################################################## #############################

Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=HPKJX8T;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

SQL Server configuration failed.

################################################## #############################

13:00:16 Process Exit Code: (-1)
    13:00:25 Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and C:\WINDOWS\sqlstp.log for more information.
    13:00:26 Action CleanUpInstall:
    13:00:26 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service SQLSERVERAGENT
    13:00:26 Process Exit Code: (1060) The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

13:00:26 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service MSSQLSERVER
    13:00:26 Process Exit Code: (0)
    13:00:26 StatsGenerate returned: 2
    13:00:26 StatsGenerate (0x80000000,0x1,0xf000000,0x0,1033,303,0x0,0x1,0,0 ,0
    13:00:26 StatsGenerate -1,GregF)
    13:00:26 Installation Failed.
    ---end pasted log file---

It may have something to do with registry permissions. You might try running regedt32 and giving the everyone group full control of the ODBC key, then try reinstalling MDAC again.

Look for the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\SQL Server]
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

how do you do that?

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Regedit. I've managed to launch regedit in start > run, but that's about where I get lost. Can you tell me how to grant everyone full control of the odbc key?

Under the registry editor goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and select SOFTWARE --->MICROSOFT --> ODBC and you will fine that ODBCINST.INI file, then select SECURITY above and premissions.

Rest is explained...
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

still doesn't install

I went into regedit, found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and selected SOFTWARE ---> but there was no ODBC in MICROSOFT, it was in SOFTWARE. so I set allow for each user listed in PERMISSIONS on that one. and I went ahead and set allow for each user in PERMISSIONS on the SECURITY folder that was a peer to the SOFTWARE FOLDER.

I seem to have followed your instructions, but am still getting what appears to be the same install error when running SQL SERver setup.

Please help! Thanks!

----begin error log excerpt-----
    11:57:05 %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\Sy stem32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN
    11:57:05 End Action: UpdateSystemPath
    11:57:06 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -F "C:\WINDOWS\sqlstp.log" -I MSSQLSERVER -V 1 -M 0 -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" -H 329716 -U sa -P

Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

SQL Server configuration failed.

11:57:39 Process Exit Code: (-1)
    11:57:55 Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and C:\WINDOWS\sqlstp.log for more information.
    ---end error log excerpt ----
    ----
    system:
    Mac Powerbook 1GHz

Thats strange, try to reinstall again by removing all referenced registry keys for SQL Server, reboot the box and reinstall SQL.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

No SQL server on XP

I was looking at installing SQL Server on XP Pro and found that XP is not listed as in the prerequisits for any of the components or editions. I've concluded that SQL server (even the personal edition?!) has to be installed on a server system. Are we missing something? Here's what's listed in the readme:

Operating System Requirements (systems that must be installed to use the various editions or components of Microsoft SQL Server 2000)

Enterprise Edition: Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Microsoft Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows 2000 Data Center Server.
    Note that Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (any version) is required for some SQL Server 2000 features.

Standard Edition: Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows 2000 Data Center Server.

Personal Edition: Microsoft Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, and all the more advanced Windows operating systems.

Developer Edition: Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional, and all other Windows NT and Windows 2000 operating systems.

Client Tools Only: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 (all versions), Windows Me, and Windows 98.
    Connectivity Only Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 (all versions), Windows Me, Windows 98, and Windows 95.