Question Unanswered: deleting column data

Hi

Is it possible to delete the data found in a column instead of deleting the entire row?
    For example if I have a table with 3 columns (column A, column B, and column C) is it possible to only delete the data in column C leaving the data in column A and column B intact.

Thanks

Hamza

Re: deleting column data

Yes, it is very much possible. But deleting the data would be updating the column value with null.

The below sql stmt would delete the salary data in the emp table i.e. update the current salary for all the employees with null salary. Note, null is not equal to 0 in Oracle.

sql> update emp set salary=null;

Originally posted by hally
    Hi

Is it possible to delete the data found in a column instead of deleting the entire row?
    For example if I have a table with 3 columns (column A, column B, and column C) is it possible to only delete the data in column C leaving the data in column A and column B intact.

Thanks

Hamza

Re: deleting column data

Thanks. I was thinking of something much more complicated but I guess good things come in small packages.

Originally posted by dbmadcap
    Yes, it is very much possible. But deleting the data would be updating the column value with null.

The below sql stmt would delete the salary data in the emp table i.e. update the current salary for all the employees with null salary. Note, null is not equal to 0 in Oracle.

sql> update emp set salary=null;