Unanswered: inserts are getting me down :(

Hiya everyone,

I am kinda new to the db development environment and have got stuck on something. I am trying to copy a row from one of my tables and insert it at the bottom of the table. The SQL I am trying to use is as follows:

insert into quotationitem (QUOTATIONNO, VERSION, ITEMNO, JOBITEMID, MODELID, THIRDDIV, CALTYPE, REQUIRE, CALPRICE, REPAIR, QUANTITY, USERID,LASTMODIFIED, DISCOUNT, BASECAL, BASEREPAIR, CURRENCY, BASECURRENCY, STATUS) select quotationno, version, MAX (itemno +1), jobitemid, modelid, thirddiv, caltype, require, calprice, repair, quantity, userid, lastmodified, discount, basecal, baserepair, currency, basecurrency, status from quotationitem where quotationno = '50001/02' and itemno = 4 and version = 1

The primary key for the table is made up of quotationno, version and itemno but I want to keep all the data in the row the same apart from the itemno which I want to set to one higher than the existing highest itemno. (I think that makes sense!). However, when I execute the statement I get:

DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a

valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:

SQL0119N An expression starting with "VERSION" specified in a SELECT clause,

HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause is not specified in the GROUP BY clause or

it is in a SELECT clause, HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause with a column

function and no GROUP BY clause is specified. SQLSTATE=42803

I am pretty sure I am being a bit blond and doing something silly but I can't figure it out!! Any help or suggestions would make my Tuesday a lot easier!

Cheers!

I would issue the following statement by itself to make sure it works:

select quotationno, version, MAX (itemno +1), jobitemid, modelid, thirddiv, caltype, require, calprice, repair, quantity, userid, lastmodified, discount, basecal, baserepair, currency, basecurrency, status from quotationitem where quotationno = '50001/02' and itemno = 4 and version = 1

I am a little suspicious of MAX (itemno +1), but don't know for sure. You might also try MAX(itemno) +1 to see if that works.

Yep, it is a problem with the MAX function, I tried this:

select quotationno, version, itemno, jobitemid, modelid, thirddiv, caltype, require, calprice, repair, quantity, userid, lastmodified, discount, basecal, baserepair, currency, basecurrency, status from quotationitem where quotationno = '50001/02' and itemno = 4 and version = 1

and it is fine. But when I add the max function it now gives this error:

DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a

valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:

SQL0119N An expression starting with "VERSION" specified in a SELECT clause,

HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause is not specified in the GROUP BY clause or

it is in a SELECT clause, HAVING clause, or ORDER BY clause with a column

function and no GROUP BY clause is specified. SQLSTATE=42803

I shall have a tinker with it but I am a little lost. Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

Barb

Use a select statement in place of max function ...

The following statement is logically wrong ;-) , but it demonstates something you want to do ....

db2 "insert into employee select '000341', firstnme, midinit, lastname, workdept ,phoneno,hiredate,job,(select distinct max(edlevel+1) from employee),sex,birthdate,salary,bonus,comm from employee where empno='000340'"

Cheers

Sathyaram