Question Unanswered: Sybase Remote Server Connectivity

Hi,

I have question wrt the scenario described below:

I have Sybase ASE 12.5 installed on my hp box - Let us call this box 'hp'
    I have Sybase ASE 12.5 installed on another windows 2000 box (it has Sybase Central Java Edition too (3.2.0.1982)) - Let us call this box 'win'

Both the machines are in the same domain.

I would like to open an isql session on 'win' and connect to the server on 'hp' [ say the syntax would be like : isql -Usa -P<password> -S<hp_server instance name>] and execute some select and commit transaction statements for databases on 'hp' server.

How do I do this? what files do I change? what do I if multiple clients need to talk to same server? How about a unix server and unix client combination?

I am pretty new to such kind of stuff... so an in-detail simple explanation is requested.

Thanks in Advance!!
    Anu_R
    Last edited by Anu_R; 06-10-03 at 11:34.

Re: Sybase Remote Server Connectivity

Whenever you starts isql to a server, it will look into the interfaces file (or sql.ini for Windows) to locate the address & port of that server. This is independent of the platforms for the isql and the server. Meaning, isql can talk to any ASE on any platforms.
    To connect to 'hp' on 'win', make sure your interfaces file in 'win' box contains the entry for the 'hp' box server.
    If multiple clients needs to talk to the same server, ensure these clients have access to interfaces file (by default isql looks into the $SYBASE or %SYBASE% location for it) and that there is an entry for the target server.

Originally posted by Anu_R
    Hi,

I have question wrt the scenario described below:

I have Sybase ASE 12.5 installed on my hp box - Let us call this box 'hp'
    I have Sybase ASE 12.5 installed on another windows 2000 box (it has Sybase Central Java Edition too (3.2.0.1982)) - Let us call this box 'win'

Both the machines are in the same domain.

I would like to open an isql session on 'win' and connect to the server on 'hp' [ say the syntax would be like : isql -Usa -P<password> -S<hp_server instance name>] and execute some select and commit transaction statements for databases on 'hp' server.

How do I do this? what files do I change? what do I if multiple clients need to talk to same server? How about a unix server and unix client combination?

I am pretty new to such kind of stuff... so an in-detail simple explanation is requested.

Thanks in Advance!!
    Anu_R