Question Unanswered: Default value of DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ?

Hi all.

Does anyone know the default value of the registry variable "DB2_FCM_COMM_HEAPSZ"? I can't find it anywhere in the documentation. (I'm running v8.1 fp2 on AIX)

Alternatively, if anyone could direct me to any documentation on the registry variables, I find the online help quite lacking in this department.

Regards
    /Daniel Burvall
    Last edited by dbl; 06-13-03 at 03:33.

/the registry variable are addressed in Appendix A of the Administration Guide : Performance - however, I could not locate the one that you are looking for, but I may have missed it.

Thank you cchattoraj.

It seems this variable is not properly documented, at least not where it should be :-)
    It is referenced from some places in the manuals though, I'll keep digging..

/Daniel

I hope you will update the post with your findings.

Correction...

I will.

And the parameter is actually called "DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ" not "DB2_FCM..." My mind was on the Fenced Communications Manager when I first posted, hence my mistake..

I still haven't found any documentation though :-)

/Daniel

Exactly which manual (including version) did you find a reference for it? I could not find it in the version 7 or 8 Master Index.

I happened upon a reference by a coincidence when I ran a search in the online help (v8) for "db2fmp". It was in the ADM messages section of the Message Reference (see below)

The reason I'm looking for it is I got a message in the db2diag.log that a stored procedure could not allocate enough memory and that I should increase DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ.

/Daniel

From the Message Reference:
    ----------------------------------
    ADM11001E DB2 did not create a memory segment for running fenced routines. This was specified by the use of DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ registry variable.

ADM11002E Insufficient shared memory available for communication with the db2fmp process. Use the DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ registry variable to increase the amount of shared memory available for fenced routines.

ADM11003E DB2 failed to create the memory segment used for communication with fenced routines. If restarting DB2, ensure that no db2fmp processes are active on the instance prior to start. Otherwise, you can adjust the value through the DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ registry variable, or you can decrease the value of ASLHEAPSZ in the database manager configuration.

Hi.

For anyone interested, I found the definition for the variable in the online (web) Information Center:

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=r0005669.htm

So, the answer to my question is that the default is: 20Mb or enough space to run 10 fenced routines (whichever is larger),

What is strange is that it says it applies to all Unix systems except AIX, but we run AIX and still got the message in the db2diag.log telling us to change it!?

I also found this on the IBM DB2 FAQ page:
    --------------------------------------------------
    I see the error, "Insufficient memory available for IPC communication with the db2fmp process. Use the DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ registry variable to adjust the amount of memory available for fenced routines" in the db2diag.log file when running my application. How do I resolve this?

A: This error usually signifies the need for tuning the DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ parameter. More details on this parameter can be found in the DB2 Information Center.
    As a quick guide, this parameter should be set to at least 2 * ASLHEAPSZ * max number of fmps that might be active on the instance.

/Daniel

Thanks Daniel ..

I assume it is a 8.1.2 thing ... ( My trial CD with V8.1 doesn't seem to have this) ..

As and when you install a new fixpack, I suggest that you check for any documentation updates and install them ... This will ensure that the documentation on your system is in-line with the version you are using

Cheers

Sathyaram