Thread: moving data

Unanswered: moving data

I am sure this is an easy question, for those who know.

I am trying to move data from a db, Sybase 12.5 to a copy of the same db, also 12.5, but a different sort order. I am bcping tables since the dump and load fails. I am getting the following error message for some tables: failed - attempt to insert duplicate key row in object "tablename" with unique idex 'another_name' bcp copy in failed.

How do I move the data successfully? Is there a better way than table by table?

thanks,
    o.

Here are the flags I use when bcp'ing, I'm not sure what they do exactly but it seems to work and I have had similar messages myself when I have'nt used these flags..

bcp <table> out <file> -c -Usa -P
    bcp <table> in <file> -c -E -Usa -P

I think more importantly you should be concerned if your dump / loads are'nt working. Do you run dbcc checks on your database??

The load does not work because the database was created on a server with a different sort order than what I am trying to transfer the datat to.

I am using bcp <table> out <file> -c -Usa -P to bcp the data out, when I tried bcp <table> in <file> -c -E -Usa -P, there error is Unable to SET IDENTITY_INSERT to ON/OFF for table ' Invalid pointer param number 2, pointer value 0x00000010 ' because the table does not have the identity propery.

Thanks, but still wondering....
    O.

Re: moving data

Originally posted by Ova
    I am sure this is an easy question, for those who know.

I am trying to move data from a db, Sybase 12.5 to a copy of the same db, also 12.5, but a different sort order. I am bcping tables since the dump and load fails. I am getting the following error message for some tables: failed - attempt to insert duplicate key row in object "tablename" with unique idex 'another_name' bcp copy in failed.

How do I move the data successfully? Is there a better way than table by table?

thanks,
    o.
    Easily achieved using sybmigrate tool available in ASE 12.5.0.3 Check the documentation on sybmigrate.