Unanswered: Runstats problem

I have a script that runs nightly and does runstats on some select tables. It sporatically fails on some of the tables with the following error:

SQL2310N The utility could not generate statistics. Error -911 was returned.

The stats command was:

runstats on table db2admin.s_srv_req and detailed indexes all shrlevel reference

Has anyone seen this or know why it would work sometimes but not always. Sounds like contention but should the shrlevel take care of that?

Re: Runstats problem

Hey Akratz

here´s the transcription of the error message:

SQL0911N The current transaction has been rolled back because of
    a deadlock or timeout. Reason code "<reason-code>".

You´re trying to run statistics for a table that´s being locked in another transaction. If those are select only table, make sure that the Isolation Level of the application accessing those tables are NOT Repeatable Read, if they are, change them to Cursor Stability (Read Commited), or at least issue a commit after every Select Statement.

HTH
    Fernando Ohana.

Originally posted by akratz
    I have a script that runs nightly and does runstats on some select tables. It sporatically fails on some of the tables with the following error:

SQL2310N The utility could not generate statistics. Error -911 was returned.

The stats command was:

runstats on table db2admin.s_srv_req and detailed indexes all shrlevel reference

Has anyone seen this or know why it would work sometimes but not always. Sounds like contention but should the shrlevel take care of that?

Since the Runstats utility only reads the user data (and updates the catalog) the contention may be because of another utility running which has exclusive access to the user data or the catalog.

Take snapshots for locks periodically while the runstats run as well as a list applications show detail - that will help you idnetify where the contention is.

Not sure how the applications works and why the runstats would need a sharelevel of reference. If it works for you, try a sharelevel of change and see if it stops failing.

Great! Thanks for pointing that out, I'm not sure why I was using REFERENCE , had just 'inherited' that when I started DBA and should have researched that, SHRLEVEL CHANGE has solved the issue.

Thanks
    Al