Question Unanswered: V7 to V8 migration

Hi,
    I am in the process of migrating from DB2 UDB Version 7 to version 8 fixpak 1. I would appreciate your feedback on the following.

1. After migrating both the instance and database using
    # /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/instance/db2imigr instance_name
    #/home/db2start
    #db2 migrate db database _name user user1 using password

How do I migration back to version 7 in the event of a problem. Do I simply change the db2profile to point to V7.1 files and run opt/IBM/db2/V7.1/instance/db2imigr ..... following by migrate database command?.

2. Documentation recommends an offline backup. I am from an Oracle background and want to confirm that UDB offline backup is simply db2 force application all
    followed by
    backup database ... without the ONLINE flag.
    I ran db2ckbkp -H on the image file and backup mode is 0 which I assume is an offline backup. Is this true??.

One other question is it possible to reduce the size of a container in DMS tablespace?

apologies if this query appears twice in the forum.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Michael

Re: V7 to V8 migration

Hi Michael,

I don't think db2 migrate can handle back migration. You better do some thorough testing and make sure you are not going to migrate back.

Yes, what you did was an offline backup. I don't know details about db2ckbkp -H though. You should test that your backup is restorable anyway.

No you cannot directly reduce the size of a DMS tablespace. I believe you can do a redirected restore to reduce tablespace sizes (but never actually did so). Consider using SMS, unless performance is critical.

BTW, does Oracle allow for reducing tablespaces on raw devices?

Johann

Originally posted by tzp2ft
    Hi,
    I am in the process of migrating from DB2 UDB Version 7 to version 8 fixpak 1. I would appreciate your feedback on the following.

1. After migrating both the instance and database using
    # /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/instance/db2imigr instance_name
    #/home/db2start
    #db2 migrate db database _name user user1 using password

How do I migration back to version 7 in the event of a problem. Do I simply change the db2profile to point to V7.1 files and run opt/IBM/db2/V7.1/instance/db2imigr ..... following by migrate database command?.

2. Documentation recommends an offline backup. I am from an Oracle background and want to confirm that UDB offline backup is simply db2 force application all
    followed by
    backup database ... without the ONLINE flag.
    I ran db2ckbkp -H on the image file and backup mode is 0 which I assume is an offline backup. Is this true??.

One other question is it possible to reduce the size of a container in DMS tablespace?

apologies if this query appears twice in the forum.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Michael

Hi,

This probably will not answer your question, but...

I have tested the DB2 v8 for Linux for IBM S/390 mainframe.
    I have tested the fixpack 2 for DB2 v8. This fixpack 2 makes miracles in performance of SQL executing time. SQL with run for 30 secound on v7.2 fixpack 8 now runs 3 secounds without any optimization - just installing the fixpack 2!

So my sugestion is: implement the fixpack 2 for DB2

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Yes... you should consider installing fixpacks when migrating ...

This is important because the base version is (always) buggy ... The intiial 2-3 fixpacks fix a majority of the critical bugs (for heaven's sake, please do not ask me why we have fixpack 13 etc ;-) ) ...

Another big advantage will be when you want support from IBM ... Call IBM support and if you report a new issue which they do not have records for, the first solution given : 'You should upgrade to the latest fixpack' .....

Going back to your original question, to fallback to version 7, the only option I know of is to use export/import or db2move .... If you have a column, like last_updated in your tables, the task will be simplified ,if not you will have to copy the entire table from V8 and replace into v7 ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

This probably will not answer your question, but...

I have tested the DB2 v8 for Linux for IBM S/390 mainframe.
    I have tested the fixpack 2 for DB2 v8. This fixpack 2 makes miracles in performance of SQL executing time. SQL with run for 30 secound on v7.2 fixpack 8 now runs 3 secounds without any optimization - just installing the fixpack 2!

So my sugestion is: implement the fixpack 2 for DB2

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hi all,
    thanks for your speedy response.

Johann, as far as I know you can not reduce tablespaces using raw devices in Oracle. I am not a fan of raw devices due to this and other management issues. I have never found concert evidence to support performance improvements using raw. Yuo need to plan usage before creating the raw partitions.

Back to DB2 UDB land. I will contact IBM and get more details on speedy backup in event of problems. I have updated our development system but as part of our change process I need to document backup for production. I am hoping like Oracle all I need to do is shutdown all databases and tar up the directoires and untar in event of roll back.

I 'll post their repsonse to the forum when I get the answer as you guys will all at some stage be performing the migration. Cheers.

Michael.