Unhappy Unanswered: complex select, please help

I have a table of hotelRoomPrices with the folowing fields:
    PricePerNight,BeginPeriod (which is the date from which this price is correct),EndPeriod (which is the price until which
    the price is correct),TypeOfRoom

in a web form the user enter the dates he want to stay in the hotel and I must compute the price.
    The problem is when the selected dates lie over 2 periods (or even 3 periods)

ie: I have a price from june 1st to june 15th and another price from june 16th to july 1st. The user want to go to the hotel from june 10th to june 20th !

can somebody help me ???

thanks

There are two approaches to this. You could use a Tally table Use which is basically a single column (int) table containing all positive integers between 0 and N ... (N being sufficiently large enough to satisfy your needs) or you could use the following method which is simpler.

I created a table with the following structure :

Price_per_night,
    Begin_Period
    End_Period
    Type_Of_Room

I think the structure is self explanatory. I also chose the following booking dates starting 21/05/2003 and ending on the 23/10/2003. This places the booking time under three price groups for my given example. See code below

-- GENERATE SOME TEST RECORDS

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_NAME = 'HOTELROOMPRICES')
    DROP TABLE HOTELROOMPRICES

CREATE TABLE HOTELROOMPRICES (
    PRICE_PER_NIGHT NUMERIC(9,2),
    BEGIN_PERIOD DATETIME,
    END_PERIOD DATETIME,
    TYPE_OF_ROOM VARCHAR(20)
    )

INSERT INTO HOTELROOMPRICES(PRICE_PER_NIGHT, BEGIN_PERIOD, END_PERIOD, TYPE_OF_ROOM)
    SELECT 350,CONVERT(DATETIME, '01/05/2003', 103), CONVERT(DATETIME, '16/05/2003', 103), 'SINGLE'
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 400,CONVERT(DATETIME, '17/05/2003', 103), CONVERT(DATETIME, '01/06/2003', 103), 'SINGLE'
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 500,CONVERT(DATETIME, '02/06/2003', 103), CONVERT(DATETIME, '01/09/2003', 103), 'SINGLE'
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 250,CONVERT(DATETIME, '02/09/2003', 103), CONVERT(DATETIME, '30/10/2003', 103), 'SINGLE'
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 400,CONVERT(DATETIME, '31/10/2003', 103), CONVERT(DATETIME, '31/12/2003', 103), 'SINGLE'

-- WORKS OUT THE COST OF BOOKING THE ROOM FOR THE PERIOD 21 MAY 2003 - 23 OCTOBER 2003

DECLARE @START DATETIME
    DECLARE @END DATETIME

SET @START = '5/21/2003'
    SET @END = '10/23/2003'

SELECT SUM(PRICE_PER_NIGHT * PERIODDAYS -
    CASE WHEN STARTDIFF > 0 THEN STARTDIFF * PRICE_PER_NIGHT ELSE 0 END -
    CASE WHEN ENDDIFF > 0 THEN ENDDIFF * PRICE_PER_NIGHT ELSE 0 END) AS 'COST OF HOLIDAY'
    FROM
    (
    SELECT PRICE_PER_NIGHT,
    DATEDIFF(D,BEGIN_PERIOD, END_PERIOD) AS PERIODDAYS,
    DATEDIFF(D,BEGIN_PERIOD, @START) AS STARTDIFF,
    DATEDIFF(D,@END, END_PERIOD) AS ENDDIFF
    FROM HOTELROOMPRICES
    WHERE @START BETWEEN BEGIN_PERIOD
    AND END_PERIOD OR @END BETWEEN BEGIN_PERIOD
    AND END_PERIOD OR (@START <= BEGIN_PERIOD AND @END >= END_PERIOD)) AS A

The above query returns a value of 62650 which I believe is the correct amount of money for the room.

Good Luck!
    Shadow to Light

thank you,
    I'll try your way which seems to match my case

cheers

Originally posted by djiff
    thank you,
    I'll try your way which seems to match my case

cheers
    I must admit that the majority of the code was written by a very celever SQL Developer (not me) so I will pass on your thank you to him as well!

Good Luck!
    Shadow to Light