Unanswered: CASE in WHERE clause?

I would like to select customers from my database depending on some criteria that the users choose - such as area code, company size etc. Since i have about 15 criteria and the users want to be able to choose many criteria for one selection i can't make one procedure for each criteria - i would end up with about a hundred procedures. I want to let the users choose what criteria to search on and have ONE single select statement that return the customers. Something like:

select name, address, city etc
    from customer
    where if users want to see customers of a certain type then type = @myInParameterForType
    and if users want to see customers from a certain area then area = @myInParameterForArea

is this possible? sorry if i made you all confused...my english is not perfect! Thanks in advance!

Yes, you may use CASE in where
    --
    kukuk

Re: CASE in WHERE clause?

one easy (but not very performant) way is to build your "where" clause in your application (ie:web form ) and send it to your sp:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CREATE PROCEDURE mySP

(
    @WhereClause varchar(4000)
    )

AS
    Declare @SQL varchar(6000)

begin

set @SQL = 'SELECT field1, field2 ... from myTable where ' + @WhereClause + ' ORDER BY someID'

end

EXEC (@SQL)

RETURN

GO
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

when you have many optional parameter it is very conveniant