Unanswered: vba login procedure from accesss on w98 to w2000server

Hello,

I have a small sercurity issue. I want to work with a local db in windows 98 enviroment. The local db have link tables. The tables are on secure 2000 server and i have to login to have access to the data. The computer is login on the network with different user name and password then the user and password that have access to the tables on server.
    So, the question is:
    What is the procedure to login to a windows 2000 server with different user name and password than the windows 98 where the local db is.

Thank you in advance!
    Theodor

Provided Answers: 5
    you login to the server when 98 loads

then you login to the db using the mdw that comes with access or one of your own that you create

we do that here

remember though - when implementing access security - Access will enforce the least restrictive rights whereas the 2000 will enforce the most restrictive - so you just need to balance the two

we actually implement the server login names as the db login names

makes it easier to keep track of

you did not understand me!

i don't want to use mdw and i don't want to log computer on network with the user that have access in the server folder where the tables is.
    I just want to write a code that gives the rights for local db to log on the network with specific user name and password other then the computer is loged.
    Can be done?
    Theodor

you are correct - I don't understand you - but know this
    you cannot run access without an mdw file
    server login scripting is an entire different animal than db login

to reach the server folder you must login at the OS level of the PC

so yes in vb you "may" be able to run code that may modify folder access but that would certainly call for api calls and even then you may have to have admin rights to modify forlder access on the server.

I am pretty good at understanding issues and problems (MS tech support for 3 years) but maybe i am missing something here.

access privelages are in no way tied to OS privelages

the cuurentuser in access (admin by default) cannot override OS login privelages to the server, and even if one could communicate through the appropriate api to do this I am sure some admin privelages would have to be invoked.

thank you but........

..but you tell me that can be done?????

i want a vb code that work to do this:

on form open()

link tables from \\server\dbfolder\advdb.mdb, username=network1, password=test

...where the user name and password are use to have access to the folder dbfolder not to db. the db don't need security if the dbfolder is secure.
    Theodor

a quote from Microsoft

ALL NT Users attempting to access the MDB file have to have FULL CONTROL permissions to the FOLDER where the MDB is stored to use the mdb

these are the login user names

so if the user has to use the mdb why can't you assign these rights from the start

if the user does not ahve to use the mdb why would it be in the folder?

If correct FOLDER permissions are not set, you will experience issues like Hanging LDB’s, database corruption, locking problems, etc.

As you know, Jet Security is notoriously NOT secure. All you can really do is: use User-Level Security, place the files in “hidden” folders (which can be easily discovered by even the most novice user), and backup like a maniac. Using MDE files, and password protecting the VBE can HELP protect the database application, as can Encrypting it.

Re: vba login procedure from accesss on w98 to w2000server

I'm looking for a way to do this too. My only workaround right now is Re-linking the tables on startup of the form. That way I can specify the login and password in the connection string of the table. I know there has to be an easier way though.

Chad