Red face Unanswered: need to locate sa password

Just inherited a 6.5 dataserver, DBA left w/o giving sa password, (I can connect as dbo of one of the databases though. Any suggestions as to
    how I might be able to obtain this information? Any help would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Check the server itself. Most folks registered Enterprise Manager on the server as SA. If your former DBA did so, then you should be able to retrieve the password, or change it (which is probably better).

I wish mine had...(but thank you.)

Just test the connection using query analyzer with SA login, depends whether you use mixed mode authentication.

If you want to change then use SP_PASSWORD, more information from BOOKS ONLINE.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Provided Answers: 11
    Under 6.5 this is a fairly bad thing. Best I can advise is to bcp out the syslogins table, remove standardized logins from the resulting file, make sure you have good backups of all your databases (msdb as well), as well as how all the database devices are laid out. (you can already see where this is going, huh?).

Once you have all this information, you will effectively eradicate the server by rebuilding the master database (as part of SQL Setup program). Delete all the old database devices from the filesystem.

Re-add all of the devices, then the databases (not sure on this step), then restore the backups. Also bcp in the syslogins file you had. Once all of this is done (most likely over a weekend), then you will have a SQL instance with a blank sa password.

If anyone remembers a better way of going about it, post it. This will get the sa password re-set, BUT there are thousands of chances for risk involved. My advice is to plan this one out in fine detail. If at all possible, play with a test server several times before you go to production to see if anything can go wrong.

One last thing: Make sure that the only stuff in the master database is what is supposed to be in there. The master database is the one database you will probably never get back.