Unanswered: long running stored procedure

I have a stored procedure which uses CIS to insert into a local table that is intermittently long running.

On normal selection from the CIS table the results are returned quickly.
    I have tried to get showplans from the remote server and it indicates the query used should be using indexes. There are no other processes contending for memory/locks within sybase itself.

The 2 servers are in the same site and there should not be any network issues.

Any thoughts on why this job on various occassions doubles in time?

Re: long running stored procedure

Originally posted by pillai
    I have a stored procedure which uses CIS to insert into a local table that is intermittently long running.

On normal selection from the CIS table the results are returned quickly.
    I have tried to get showplans from the remote server and it indicates the query used should be using indexes. There are no other processes contending for memory/locks within sybase itself.

The 2 servers are in the same site and there should not be any network issues.

Any thoughts on why this job on various occassions doubles in time?
    Is the query begin executed fully on the local or remote server? Do you have any SARGs applied at the remote server, if not you'll be getting something akin to select * from table.

When you say the servers are on the same site, is this the same host, or just geographic location. Either way there will be data transfered across the LAN as the two ASEs do not communicate using shared memory. The throughput will depend on the capacity at the weakest point.