Question Unanswered: Transfering Access database to SQL

Hi everyone,

this is my first visit in this forum, but I have a problem and I need expert opinion!
    I've made web search for my problem and I found a this forum and question by FORESTY about Maximum number of Records that MS Access can handle! I would like to extend that question.
    I have made a MS Access Database which grew with time and now it has over 50 Forms, 70 Queries (half of them parameter), 40 Reports and many Macros and Event Procedures.
    It has only 40 000 records now but it SHOULD hold over 1 000 000 records in its full version. It also will be used in multiuser environment (5 to 10 users).
    So my (stupid) question is WHAT SHOULD I DO?
    As far as I know /and that is not much / I have 3 possible solutions:

1. To go on and fill my database and hope that it won't blow up
    2. To Use MS Access Upsizing Wizard or SQL Server's DTS Import Wizard and transfer databases between MS Access and SQL Server. Then I imagine I could use my Access made Forms and Queries as front-end and converted in SQL Server database Tables as back-end of my new application.
    But CAN I REALLY DO THIS or all my queries and procedures will not work after conversion???
    3. To completely rewrite my database (all the tables, windows, queries and procedures) in some other product. PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT...

I'd appreciate every reply. (and sorry about my poor English

Re: Transfering Access database to SQL

Originally posted by pivodrinkov
    Hi everyone,

this is my first visit in this forum, but I have a problem and I need expert opinion!
    I've made web search for my problem and I found a this forum and question by FORESTY about Maximum number of Records that MS Access can handle! I would like to extend that question.
    I have made a MS Access Database which grew with time and now it has over 50 Forms, 70 Queries (half of them parameter), 40 Reports and many Macros and Event Procedures.
    It has only 40 000 records now but it SHOULD hold over 1 000 000 records in its full version. It also will be used in multiuser environment (5 to 10 users).

2. To Use MS Access Upsizing Wizard or SQL Server's DTS Import Wizard and transfer databases between MS Access and SQL Server. Then I imagine I could use my Access made Forms and Queries as front-end and converted in SQL Server database Tables as back-end of my new application.
    But CAN I REALLY DO THIS or all my queries and procedures will not work after conversion???
    3. To completely rewrite my database (all the tables, windows, queries and procedures) in some other product. PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT...

I'd vote for option # 2.

File | Get External Data | And Link Tables from the SQL Server (or MySQL) database.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Hi everyone,

You could also as a version of option two use sqlserver,build the database and use access xp as a project. this will improve your multiuser facilities, and add the benifit of the database facilities.
    It is best done with xp as aposed to access 2k as the sqlserver functionality in xp is better.

Hi everyone,