Unanswered: Why is Text driver Access/Excel (DAO) is slow?

Hi, I'm using the Access/Excel (DAO) driver to connect to (*.csv) files, but every time I change the location of the file, it takes around 30 seconds before the change is made...

Any idea about this? Could it be because of the Access/Excel (DAO) driver? If i'm using (*.csv) files with this driver, is there a conversion that could take that long?

Thanks

Huck

Provided Answers: 5
    have you tried the ISAM driver in the get external data from the file menu?

remember dao has to make and test the connection - where is the csv file - accross the network?

I don't know why I didn't say it in my first message, but I'm using Crystal Report to show my (*.csv) files, so when I choose this kind of text file, Crystal Reports automatically chooses the "Access/Excel (DAO)" driver...

My .csv files are on my local computer, so I can't figure out why it is taking sooo long for the driver to connect to my files when I change the source file...

thanks...

Simon

are you using any releationships in the linked tables?

There may be a time constraint on the verification of the joins/relationships

if those text files are not indexed (and they are not) - large recordsets would take a minute to verify the data

I'm not using any relationships, only one file provides the data for the report and as you said, these files are not indexed. What I can't figure out, is how can it take 30 seconds to verify a 1kb file? Do you have an idea of what the driver actually does?

When I open a CSV file in access, I believe that the same driver must be used? But maybe not, because it doesn't take a second to load my files in access...

thanks again, still not sure how I'm gonna work this out... darn...

Simon

link to the table first and then run crystal reports - are you running a crystal reports add-in - if so I think you can prelink to the file and run the reports against the linked table.

I'm writing a small Crystal Report MFC viewer in C++. I'm using the Crystal Report viewer ocx. So you're saying that I could create the link programmatically in my App and then lkink it to the report? I'm not sure I know how to do that!

got me on the c++ I thought you were in access