Question Unanswered: How to cancel a Running Backup

I'm using DB2 v7.2 on WindowsNT .

A database backup job is showing up in "Running Jobs" in the DB2 Journal Tool. I'm looking for some way to cancel/Kill this process.

When I started this backup job through DB2 Control Center, it ran for sometime . Then I accidently deleted the backup image that it was building. After this I ran another backup on the same database which completed successfully.

I tried restarting DB2 and also rebooted the server. But that running job is not going away.

I'm new to DB2. Please help if anyone knows how to forcibly kill this hanging backup process.

Thanks,
    -Preeti

Re: How to cancel a Running Backup

Preeti ,

I'm surprised .... I can't think of a reason how the backup will be in progress even after restarting (did you do db2stop and db2start?) db2 ...

Are you seeing that in the Journal ?

Well, why not try this ?

Connect to the database and do ,

db2 list tablespaces and check the Tablespace states .. Is there any tablespace whose state is other than 'Normal' ... If so, what state is it ?

May not be required, but, also check ,

db2 list applications show detail

Is there any application which reports 'Performing a Backup' ?

You can do, db2 get db cfg for <dbname> and check what these lines say :

Backup pending
    Database is consistent
    Rollforward pending
    Restore pending

If there are no complaints in the above steps, there is nothing to worry about ....

HTH

Cheers

SAthyaram

Originally posted by preetim
    I'm using DB2 v7.2 on WindowsNT .

A database backup job is showing up in "Running Jobs" in the DB2 Journal Tool. I'm looking for some way to cancel/Kill this process.

When I started this backup job through DB2 Control Center, it ran for sometime . Then I accidently deleted the backup image that it was building. After this I ran another backup on the same database which completed successfully.

I tried restarting DB2 and also rebooted the server. But that running job is not going away.

I'm new to DB2. Please help if anyone knows how to forcibly kill this hanging backup process.

Thanks,
    -Preeti

Thumbs up Re: How to cancel a Running Backup

Sathyaram,

It worked( db2stop and db2start) !

Earrlier I was doing a rightclick on the database name ( from control center) and selecting Restart. I thought it is same as restarting db2 for this database.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.
    -Preeti

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Preeti ,

I'm surprised .... I can't think of a reason how the backup will be in progress even after restarting (did you do db2stop and db2start?) db2 ...

Are you seeing that in the Journal ?

Well, why not try this ?

Connect to the database and do ,

db2 list tablespaces and check the Tablespace states .. Is there any tablespace whose state is other than 'Normal' ... If so, what state is it ?

May not be required, but, also check ,

db2 list applications show detail

Is there any application which reports 'Performing a Backup' ?

You can do, db2 get db cfg for <dbname> and check what these lines say :

Backup pending
    Database is consistent
    Rollforward pending
    Restore pending

If there are no complaints in the above steps, there is nothing to worry about ....

HTH

Cheers

SAthyaram