Unanswered: input masks disappearing on mail merge

I'm a VB programmer with 5 years experience, and I finally gave up looking for a job after a long and tiresome search and settled in a mailroom temp position. Anyway, I'm in the process of using Access to crunch my '8 hour' workload into a more realistic 2 hour one.

So, my problem:

I have a field, ZIP_CODE, stored WITH input masks (the zip code +4 type). Again, the masks are supposedly being stored with the data. It's a text field. There was a mail merge set up for form letters, and the zip code was coming across beautifully, i.e. '71984-8392'. But somewhere over the weekend the funny Access wizard waved his funny Access wand, and now the zipcode is coming up in the letter '719848392'.

I tried resetting the input mask property on the table, and even on the query which the merge is based on, but it ain't working. Any ideas? I don't really want to write any VB code, out of consideration for the next temp who comes in here. It's the '97 version, if that helps.

Thanks in advance, all you other poor folks working with Access.

Re: input masks disappearing on mail merge

Originally posted by pd9n
    I'm a VB programmer with 5 years experience, and I finally gave up looking for a job after a long and tiresome search and settled in a mailroom temp position. Anyway, I'm in the process of using Access to crunch my '8 hour' workload into a more realistic 2 hour one.

So, my problem:

I have a field, ZIP_CODE, stored WITH input masks (the zip code +4 type). Again, the masks are supposedly being stored with the data. It's a text field. There was a mail merge set up for form letters, and the zip code was coming across beautifully, i.e. '71984-8392'. But somewhere over the weekend the funny Access wizard waved his funny Access wand, and now the zipcode is coming up in the letter '719848392'.

I tried resetting the input mask property on the table, and even on the query which the merge is based on, but it ain't working. Any ideas? I don't really want to write any VB code, out of consideration for the next temp who comes in here. It's the '97 version, if that helps.

Thanks in advance, all you other poor folks working with Access.
    You could create a calculated field in the query perhaps called ZipFormat that includes the dash by using Format() or by using something like Left(Zip, 5) & "-" & Right(Zip, 4) or you could format the merge fields in Word itself.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips