Unanswered: backup strategy -help

Hi all,

I need to know whether my backup and recovery strategy is complete or good.
    I will explain my strategy.

I am having a few databases (Oracle 8.1.5) running live on a solaris machine.It also contains a Catalog database.
    All databases are in Archive log mode except the catalog database.
    All the 7 days except Web and Sunday i am doing Level 1 cumulative incremental backup to a tape using veritas.On wed and sunday I conduct a full backup (all are online backups).

THe catalog database is shutdown daily and all the files that correspond to the catalog database are copied out to the tape.

I also have daily entire database exports which is kept for 1 week and also wrote to the tape.

Now i want to know whether this bacjup strategy is good enough for all kinds of failures.

I also don't check whether this backups are good for restoration.How often should i check the backup files.How do I do that.Is there a 3rd party s/w to check the condition of the backups.

I know there are lot many of questions to answer but some help would be appreciated.

You don't say what you are doing with the archived redo log files. Assuming that they are being backed up to tape also then I would say that you have more than covered your tracks. I would also switch the catalog database to archivelog mode. It just gives you more options when it comes to recovery.
    The best/easiest way to test your backup is to install oracle on another machine and see if you can restore and recover the database.