Question Unanswered: Display 3rd field in combo box?

I have a combo box in a form that I want to display the contents of the third field in a table. All I can display is the ID (auto number) field.
    I'm not an expert at this at all so any help would be appreciated.

Geoff P.

Hi Geoff P,

You can display as many columns as you like in a combo box. The properties you'll need to pay attention to are:
    • Row Source (data tab)
    • Bound Column (data tab)
    • Column Count (format tab)
    • List Width (format tab)

Row Source is a query. If you click the ellipse (...) at the far right, the QBE grid will pop up. You can choose as many columns as you like, and you can include criteria and sort order.

Bound Column is a number (from 1 to the total number of columns returned by your Row Source). It determines which of the Row Source columns will be used as the combo's value. If the combo is bound to a field in a table, then the Bound Column also determines what value will be stored in the field.

Column Count is a number (from 1 to the total number of columns returned by your Row Source). It determines how many of the Row Source columns will be displayed.

List Width is the width of each column, given in inches. It determines the appearance of the combo box. For example, if you want the autonumber from the combo box to be stored as the value for the field. If you have selected three columns in your Row Source, and want the first one (autonumber) stored, but you'd like to display the 2nd and 3rd column, set the width to "0". If you want to alter the width of the 2nd and 3rd columns too, set the width to "0;1;2.5" (will hide the first column, set the 2nd column to 1 inch and the 3rd column to 2.5 inches).

Hope that helps!
    JT

Hi JT,
    thank you very much for this.
    I can find nothing like this in the Access 97 Bible. (

Geoff P