Unanswered: HELP - Persistent Out of Memory Error

I have a system of 3 linked databases on a network drive where users go to the network and all open the same copy in order to use it. I have been hearing complaints about a 'Out of Memory' Error, as well as a 'Disk Error' sometimes. Are these common problems in Access? What can be done about this, they are extremely frusterating to both me and the users.

Provided Answers: 5
    disk or network error is connectivity related to the network - perhaps the linkes to the tables or workstation are not being refreshed completely - I do not think this is the fault of Access

The out of memory error - depending on the exact error can be due to:

queries trying to write large temp files to the workstation
    or memory leaks within the code behind forms or modules - depending if you are using recordset definitions
    ie dim rst as recordset
    if so you need to close the recordset and kill it

rst.close
    set rst = nothing

also look at this link and see if it helps
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;217353

You may also try to split the db so the data tables sit on the network and the front-end - forms,queries, reports , etc. are resident in an mdb on each workstation - remember alot of network bandwidth is used to pll an entire db accross the network by several users if it is a large db

HTH

We were having some latency problems where operations simply took a few seconds where we would prefer if it were instantaneous, and I tried having the forms/reports etc on each workstation and have only the data on the network, and it did not seem to improve the speed at all. Could this improve the memory issues though? I wanted to stay away from doing this because updating the interface then becomes a pain, but if it would fix these errors it would certainly be worth it. I did not use the Dim rst As Recordset often and the error comes up during operating that have nothing to do with this command. The error comes up when going from one form to annother, and in a module I record the Screen.ActiveForm.Filter, OrderBy, and the unique id for the recordsource, then go to the new form and re-apply everything, set the focus to the control with the unique field and then do a find to find the same record they were on for the previous form. Is there a problem with doing it this way? It does not seem like a memory-intensive operation to me, which is why I chose to do it this way. Thanks.
    Jordan

do your forms use any backgrounds other then standard colors

bmp, jpg, background templates?

no axsprog, everything is the standard boring gray color.

embedded objects using ole frames?

there are issues with forms / and print previews calling up jpegs and the work around is converting to bmps but you definitely have a memory leak

could be in the roundtripping of the recordsource through the module

I always hardcode recorsources through queries or stored sql statements in a table and use:

me.recordsource = "whatever" depending on the criteria and then a
    me.requery

works fast and eliminates using the me.filter issues

I agree roundtripping is a pain in the butt, but I should have mentioned earlier it is because the primary navigation from one form to annother is through a toolbar that has buttons that call macros that call generic modules that figure out what type of form is open and do the approprioate operation. I can't use any sort of Me.anything since this code is in a module, NOT in the code behind a form like I could do if the button was on the form. That all make sense?

that is correct about the me.

two ideas

convert the macros to code if you are using 2k or greater

also use the isloaded function to determine if forms are open - a great function

I always copy the function from northwind's utility module before I start any app

the code conversion would also error trap - as there may be something going on that the macro will not trap

also you can step through the code and see where the bottlenecks are