Question Unanswered: Time Taken For Each Sql ?

Hi,

While running the showplan , i would like to know the time taken for each SQL stmts.

Can anyone let me know how to do it.

Thanks,
    Vicky

Hiya

Just run a SELECT getdate() before and after the query. The time is accurate to 1/300 th of a second.

SELECT getdate()
    go

SELECT * from blah....

SELECT getdate()
    go

Cheers
    Willy

Re: Time Taken For Each Sql ?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by VICKY189
    Hi,

While running the showplan , i would like to know the time taken for each SQL stmts.

Thanks,
    Vicky

Re: Time Taken For Each Sql ?

Hi,

But I am running a proc. It doesnt show the time there.

Originally posted by VICKY189
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Vicky

Create two datetime variables as output parameters
    SELECT @start = getdate()

SELECT * FROM whatever

SELECT @end = getdate()

Then you can pass them out as output parameters
    Thanks,

Matt

I think getdate() won't give you the actual server time. you will be having something different if you ASE server deals with something in it such as locks or any other task made during your request. With getdate() , you will get client and server response time together, but you are not going to get accurate information of each request.

You will need to use statistics Time and IO in order to find out the actual server time and for each requests is going to take another task.

So I recommend you to take a look at this tool @ http://www.quotium.com. Check QUOTIUM Workbench, that will allow you find out the exact Server time for each request in your show plan and Clien time, plus other useful statistics. No mention the graphic display for the Show plan and if you run stored procedures it will give you a calling tree, which is nothing but a graphic representation of all the different procedures call made within other stored procedures.

Hope this helps you.

I guess it would help Quotium's bottom line even more. getdate() before and after a query can be a pretty good (and quick way to) measure of how long a query takes, especially if the server's cpu's aren't pegged at 100% by other processes at the same time. set statistics time on is even better.