Unanswered: Faster ODBC connections wanted on W2K

Hi
    I've been developing an app that use ODBC connections to connect to a database server (SqlServer, MySql or Oracle for the moment).
    I noticed that SqlServer connection from a client was between 5 and 6 time faster with a server installed on W2K professional than on W2K Server.
    These 2 servers have similar hardware and the same version of SqlServer installed.
    The only ODBC parameters that changes on the client is the IP adress of the server.
    Do you know what is the problem ?
    Do you have some software solutions to get a faster SqlServer ?

Re: Faster ODBC connections wanted on W2K

Need more information.
    -Is the client running an a third box or one one or both of the sql-servers?
    -Are the databases on either identical? same idnexes, etc?
    -Is either sql-server set to use a different amt of ram? Check in the server properteis in em.
    -Is either sql-server database set up on a different physical disk than the other? is it the same disk as the os or swapfile?
    -Has either server been up and running for a while? If either server has already cached the requested data, it will be much faster. Try them both again after a fresh restart.
    -Have you tried OLE-DB instead of ODBC? It tends to perform better.
    -Are the two sql-servers on the same network or is one on another subnet or in some other location?

Post Re: Faster ODBC connections wanted on W2K

Thank you for your answer.

You wrote :
    -Is the client running an a third box or one one or both of the sql-servers?
    The client is running on a third box.

-Are the databases on either identical? same idnexes, etc?
    The databases are identicals (tables and indexes generated by the client itself)

-Is either sql-server set to use a different amt of ram? Check in the server properteis in em.
    I think SqlServers installations are standards so they should use the same amount of memory but how can I check it ?

-Is either sql-server database set up on a different physical disk than the other? is it the same disk as the os or swapfile?
    I don't understand your first question but It's the same HD than the OS (installed on C:\MSSQL7)

-Has either server been up and running for a while? If either server has already cached the requested data, it will be much faster. Try them both again after a fresh restart.
    Even if the servers have just been started, the result is that it's slower on W2K Server.

-Have you tried OLE-DB instead of ODBC? It tends to perform better.
    I have to use ODBC

-Are the two sql-servers on the same network or is one on another subnet or in some other location?
    They are on the same network.

As you can see, there is no reason to have my app being slower with W2K server than with W2K pro but i'm not crazy, it's 5 or 6 time slower !
    I'm sure that the problem is concerning W2K Server itself : a security option to disable, a service to stop ... I don't know ... I'm just a developer ... not a W2K expert. The problem occured on 2 different PC using W2K Server and I never encountered the problem on W2K pro.

On W2K Server, I check that background services was prefered to applications, I try to set the network card to use 'Full Duplex' but the problem is the same.

Thank you for your help.

Hmmmm This is curious...

- Regarding the disk setup, my thought was that perhaps the data files were on a seperate physical disk from the OS/swapfile on one machine or the other, but that appears to not be the case.

- Regarding the memory settings, in Enterprise Manager, right click on the server and select properties, select the memory tab and check that the settings are identical for both systems.

- Have you checked to make sure that both ODBC connections are configured to use the same network library? You can do this by clicking on the 'client configuration' button during the DSN setup.

- I would run a profiler trace to watch the processes run and see if they are taking the same amount of time to process in SQL Server and if the problem might be with the network transmission. You can then capture the queries being used, paste them into Query Analyzer and get an execution plan on each sql-server to see if they're parsing the query the same way on each.