Angry Unanswered: Error message "The search key was not found in any record"

Hi there!

I have a bit of a problem with a database I use daily (as part of a records filing system) and I was hoping that someone here could help.... I should state up front that I didn't build the database, I just use it, and am trying to improve on what was in place without compromising the integrity of our filing system. I'm not a programmer, just a user, so in other words, don't get too technical or I won't be able to follow the thread! ;-)

Some specifics on the database:

*database front end is 4 users on Access2000 + 1 user on AccessXP
    *database back end is Access 2000
    *database contains ~22500 records
    *database is housed on a server

The problem is this: after updating a record and upon trying to move to another record, I will receive the following error message: The search key was not found in any record. I'll click 'OK' and try to move on again, and will receive the same message. Attempting to delete the record gives the same message. I have found that in order to move from that record, I have to exit the form.

The error doesn't seem to be restricted to a single record, and I've only found the ones that are affected when trying to update, so it seems to be pretty randomly distributed throughout the database. I have tried to delete the affected records from the table itself (instead of using the form), but I get the same message.

I'm not sure if this is important, but I have had to do quite a few compact and repairs in the last couple of months that I think are related to the differences between XP and 2000. We're trying to get put everyone on the same OS, but there are logistical complications because of an application used by field reviewers; long story short, it would be easier to bump the XP users back to 2000, but we've had some resistance to that idea.

So -- I've searched for the fix on this issue in the Microsoft KB and not found anything helpful. I've also read previous threads on this issue here, and again, I've not seen anything that will fix this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance -

hcook13

Provided Answers: 1
    You get this error even when opening the table directly and deleting rows? Maybe your database is corrupted (very possible when running from a network). Try the old compact and repair routine, or try copying the database to a local drive where you are the only user and see if the issue still occurs.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    You get this error even when opening the table directly and deleting rows? Maybe your database is corrupted (very possible when running from a network). Try the old compact and repair routine, or try copying the database to a local drive where you are the only user and see if the issue still occurs.

blindman
    Hmmm. I've done the compact and repair thing, and that doesn't seem to be doing much for me. I'll look into copying the DB and working on it locally to see if I can isolate the problem. Unfortuantely, it's a fairly large DB and there seems to be more than a few corrupted records....

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll let you know if they work.

:-)

I had similar problems with my system. The setup was similar to yours:
    Access front end on local PC
    SQL Server back end located on server

We kept getting corrupted records when multiple users were in.
    I finally got all 7 users on the same version of Access, but still had
    problems (although not as many). I then found something buried
    deep within the MSDN KB that said all users should be on the same
    version of Windows also! Once I got that accomplished the problem
    went away.

The hardest part about getting everyone on the same versions of Access and Windows was convincing the IT people that it was necessary!

Originally posted by RedNeckGeek
    We kept getting corrupted records when multiple users were in.
    I finally got all 7 users on the same version of Access, but still had
    problems (although not as many). I then found something buried
    deep within the MSDN KB that said all users should be on the same
    version of Windows also! Once I got that accomplished the problem
    went away.

The hardest part about getting everyone on the same versions of Access and Windows was convincing the IT people that it was necessary!
    Unfortuantely, I think that's our main problem, too. I've been trying to get us all on the same versions for MONTHS but it's not been easy. IT is weird about it, the lone XP user is resistant to the idea and management is kind of oblivious....

Thanks for the info -- sorry you were having problems, but I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only person having this problem.

If your data is stored in SQL server and you are just using Access as interface and you only have four users, give each user their own copy of the Access interface on their desktop. Each copy could be in whatever version of Access they use, (though they should be on the same version!), and since they are making independent connections to the Database Server it doesn't matter if they are not identical.

Consider using a Microsoft Access Data Project (.adp) file rather than a straight Access database with links to the SQL server tables. You will likely have fewer connection problems.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    If your data is stored in SQL server ....
    blindman
    I think that might be what we're going to have to do; right now our back end is Access, and even though I know Access can handle up to 65,000 records, I would be more comfortable with an SQL server for the data.

Thanks for your suggestions....

:-)

Hey, I like Access. It's great for rapid development. But it SUCKS running large databases over a network with multiple users. Don't do it.

blindman