Thread: to learn DB2

Unanswered: to learn DB2

Having no experience currently with DB2 and only having experience with Microsoft Access, is it easier to learn something like SQL Server and then learn DB2 or is it sufficient to jump right in to DB2 directly?

Can anyone recommend classes for the beginner to prepare for certification? I could only find classes for people who are already DBA for Oracle/SQL Server.

Thank you,
    Mark

Provided Answers: 1

Re: to learn DB2

Originally posted by DB_Mark
    is it easier to learn something like SQL Server and then learn DB2 or is it sufficient to jump right in to DB2 directly?

Can anyone recommend classes for the beginner to prepare for certification? I could only find classes for people who are already DBA for Oracle/SQL Server.

If your ultimate goal is DB2 I don't see why you should spend your time studying SQL Server - both products are of comparable complexity.

As for classes, IBM offers a lot of courses, from the very basic to advanced. Their only disadvantage is cost.

http://www-3.ibm.com/services/learni...db2/index.html

There's also plenty of books available written by IBMers that are pretty good for a beginner.

DB2 manuals are available online as PDFs; they are some of the best product documentation I've ever seen.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Re: to learn DB2

As Nick suggests, if you want to learn DB2, you should do it dircectly rather than going through SQL Server/Oracle etc.

If you have enough time, I would suggest you to go through some general Relational Database concepts before getting DB2 specific ... This will lead to a fundamental understanding the concepts DB2 is built on ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.