Unanswered: Newbie Combo Box Question

I am setting up a database of businesses that I want to be seperated by category name. I have two tables, tblName and tblCategory. The two tables are linked through CatID field. I have created a query to pull Name info and the corresponding Category for my form, frmBusiness. In frmBusiness I would like to have a combo box that list the values in tblCategory, and updates the record automatically. I have tried setting the control source to the query name of the field i am trying to update while the row source was set to qryCategory (which only pulls up Category names). When I do this I am unable to make a selection.

I have also tried to set an afterUpdate event of =[tblCategory]![CategoryName] which gives me an error message when I choose the field.

I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, I just can't figure out how to search for what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

A quick fix using the Wizard...

Here's a quick fix using the Access Wizard to build your form. I don't like using the wizards, but am stretched for time so this is a fast solution:

Assuming your tables are set up something like this....

NameId - (primary key)

CatId - (primary key)

I just made a quick form using the Access wizard based upon the two tables.

That is, I included all the fields from both tables as the "Selected Fields". (no need to include tblCategory.CatId, if you already have included tblName.CatId [they are linked])

Then chose the data to be displayed by tblName.

Then chose Columnar.

Then I added the list box afterwards

It looks a little ugly and I'd probably approach it a little differently, but it may help solve your problem.

(See attachment)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks so much

Thank you so much... Worked like a charm. I had to change my database relationship, and modify my selection boxes, but I got it running. Thanks for the example it worked great for me!