Unanswered: How do I just stop a db and not the instance

Hi,

I have to be sure, that nobody can connect to a special database or manipulate the data inside.
    So I force the applications to disconnect. Now I want to be sure that no application can connect to the database. It works with db2stop, but in that way the whole instance with all databases is stopped.

It is important, that all other databases are running.

How do I stop just one database?

Thanks,
    Volle

PS: I tried it with quiesce database, but I still can connect to the database.

Re: How do I just stop a db and not the instance

Hey Volle,
    There´s one sollution, can´t tell it´s the best one, but might work.
    Actually you have 2 options. One is to remove the connection permission from all users, and the other is to establish a connection in exclusive mode:

After forcing all connections from the database, connect to the database in exclusive mode. This way, no other user will be able to connect to DB while you´re connected. As far as I´ve read, you can´t shut down a single database, only the whole instance.

The connection statement to aquire the exclusive mode is:
    "CONNECT TO <DB> IN EXCLUSIVE MODE [ON SINGLE NODE] [USER username [USING password]]"

HTH
    Fernando.

Originally posted by volle
    Hi,

I have to be sure, that nobody can connect to a special database or manipulate the data inside.
    So I force the applications to disconnect. Now I want to be sure that no application can connect to the database. It works with db2stop, but in that way the whole instance with all databases is stopped.

It is important, that all other databases are running.

How do I stop just one database?

Thanks,
    Volle

PS: I tried it with quiesce database, but I still can connect to the database.

Re: How do I just stop a db and not the instance

When using connect in exclusive mode, you should be aware that the same user can connect from another session ., ie ,

connect to sample user db2admin in exclusive mode

and from another window, if you say

connect to sample user db2admin in share mode

The second statement will work ... it will fail only if you try to connect as another user ..

Cheers

Sathyaram
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 06-30-03 at 13:35.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

In DB2 OS/390 one can stop a database or tablespace, and then start it in read-only mode, utility only mode, etc. This feature is sorely needed on the other platforms.