Thread: DB2 Upgrade

Unanswered: DB2 Upgrade

Is there a way to upgrade db2 7.2 with fixpack env to db2 8.1 by applying fixpacks.

Like 7.1 + fixpack 4 migrates to 7.2 enviornment.

Or DB2 8.1 has upgrade tools to upgrdate 7.2 Env to 8.1 Env

This is in AIX Env.

No, DB2 8.1 is not considered a Fixpak for 7.2. However, I would read the 8.1 Release Notes and other install instructions to determine what would required to do the update. FP2 for 8.1 is recommended after 8.1 is installed.

Originally posted by Marcus_A
    No, DB2 8.1 is not considered a Fixpak for 7.2. However, I would read the 8.1 Release Notes and other install instructions to determine what would required to do the update. FP2 for 8.1 is recommended after 8.1 is installed.
    Thanks Marcus.

After going through some of the docs from IBM looks like i will have to Install 8.1 and apply subsequent fixpacks.Then do the Instance Migration.

Pls do confirm if you have supporting evidence .

Sridhar

What do you mean by supporting evidence ?

IBM's website and manuals are the ones which gives supported methods of doing things with db2 ... So, what is documented there is supported ..

Sorry if I have misunderstood your question

Cheers

sathyaram

Originally posted by rectmaps
    Thanks Marcus.

After going through some of the docs from IBM looks like i will have to Install 8.1 and apply subsequent fixpacks.Then do the Instance Migration.

Pls do confirm if you have supporting evidence .

Sridhar
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    What do you mean by supporting evidence ?

IBM's website and manuals are the ones which gives supported methods of doing things with db2 ... So, what is documented there is supported ..

Sorry if I have misunderstood your question

Cheers

sathyaram

You are right.

I was looking for IBM rferreals only.
    Would be happy if you can refer some docs which helps you carrying out the upgrade process .i.e 7.2 + fixpack 8 to 8.1 + fixpack2.

Sridhar

Interesting topic, especially in light of compatibility of 7.1 clients with a 8.1 database. I was thinking of upgrading to version 8.1 , but with people all over europe working with version 7.1 clients , will that still work, or do I have to upgrade the client versions as well in one big organized operation to keep everything working as it should.
    This sort of info is so hard to find out when IBM is concerned.........
    Ties Blom
    Senior Application Developer BI
    Getronics Healthcare
    DB2,ORACLE,Powercenter,BusObj,Access,
    SQL, SQL server

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by blom0344
    do I have to upgrade the client versions as well in one big organized operation to keep everything working as it should.
    This sort of info is so hard to find out when IBM is concerned.........
    The very first document one would read when planning upgrade to DB2 v8, "What's New", explicitly states that "to avoid the known restrictions and limitations, you should migrate all of your servers to Version 8 before you migrate any of your client machines to Version 8." The document also lists a dozen or so other resources that contain migration advice.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Hello Nick,

The migration part of the 'What's new' covers the limitations when upgrading clients and keeping the server at 7.
    My interest lies in upgrading the server first and then being able to still work with older clients. 5.2 clients would not work with 7.1 server, which to me means that 2 levels difference is to much of a hurdle.
    Perhaps 7.1 on 8 is a smaller step..............
    Ties Blom
    Getronics Healthcare
    SQL, SQL server

Provided Answers: 1

My interest lies in upgrading the server first and then being able to still work with older clients. 5.2 clients would not work with 7.1 server, which to me means that 2 levels difference is to much of a hurdle.
    Perhaps 7.1 on 8 is a smaller step..............
    Sorry, you didn't say that you have v5.2 clients. As for v7.1 clients, in theory they should work with v8 servers, with very few limitations.

In your case I would consider rolling out v8 throughout - it should be a more straightforward process than keeping a zoo of different versions, each with their own quirks.

And clients (excluding DB2 Connect, of course) do not need a license ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by n_i
    Sorry, you didn't say that you have v5.2 clients. As for v7.1 clients, in theory they should work with v8 servers, with very few limitations.

In your case I would consider rolling out v8 throughout - it should be a more straightforward process than keeping a zoo of different versions, each with their own quirks.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

The last migration we went through was from 5.2 to 7.1,
    I am working with 7.1 clients now on a 7.1 server.

We are using the workgroup edition and we surely have to pay for each and every client license on an annual basis. Perhaps client licenses are free with Enterprise and Extended Enterprise versions but not in case of workgroup edition..............
    Ties Blom
    Getronics Healthcare
    SQL, SQL server

Thanks Ties ... I did miss Workgroup edition ...

When I told about client licenses, I wanted to drive home the point that upgrading a client is not going to cost you ... I think, this is the case isn't it ? Adding a client should cost, but not upgrading ...

Cheers

sathyaram

The last migration we went through was from 5.2 to 7.1,
    I am working with 7.1 clients now on a 7.1 server.

We are using the workgroup edition and we surely have to pay for each and every client license on an annual basis. Perhaps client licenses are free with Enterprise and Extended Enterprise versions but not in case of workgroup edition..............

Talking

yep, upgrading is just ( : ) a technical matter , does not cost more
    Ties Blom
    Getronics Healthcare
    SQL, SQL server