Smile Unanswered: Intranet Project - HELP !!

I am in the process of building a new intranet for my firm - our company is made of of seven departments, each department is to have there own content management system.

The question......

When each department clicks on home how can I ensure that they return to there own department CMS ?

I had thought about assigning an IP address range to each department and then each respective CMS would redirect to the appropiate web site on clicking home.

Is that a good idea - or can anyone tell me of a better way ?

Help appreciated !

Donald

Really depends on the web server setup. What your asfter could easily be done using IIS only.
    J^ - web | email
    newsASP Developer

Intranet

Well am using IIS 5 - would you happen to have any code for IP forwarding ??

Thanks

Is each department using http://domain.com/deptname or http://deptname ?

You can check the users IP using:
    PHP Code:
    request.servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR"
    J^ - web | email
    newsASP Developer

A good idea which does not rely on IP addresses would be to set a session variable to the reffer address when the session starts (i.e. in global.asa).

Just set the link "home" to equal the value of that session variable.

Sessions won't work well if you plan to have a load balanced infrastructure. Assigning IPs could be a maintenance hassle in the future. You could force the "Home" button to a certain URL per department by registry settings, but also a maintenance hassle unless you have a remote desktop configuration tool. If you have an HR system you can tap into, you could try passing the login ID on the computer through to the web server allowing you to automatically authenticate to the HR system and pull their department, then forward them on to their CMS.

Are you building your own CMS, or implementing a third party solution?

Secondly, why would you want the "Home" button on their browser to go to the CMS system. Would it not make more sense to make "Home" go to your new Intranet?