Red face Unanswered: Oracle connection via Internet

Hello all,

I have been try to connect to Oracle DB via INTERNET. I have open the firewall port in both two site network(I use default 1521). Also, the IP can be reach (use ping to test). However, the connection is always time out. Does any one has this kind of experience? Please guide me... Thanks...

Is it a windows NT server as NT uses port redirection i.e. you make the connection on 1521 and then NT will assign a different port. To get round this you need to set USE_SHARED_SOCKET in the registry. Do a search on metalink for 'NT port redirection'.

Alan

sqlnet on unix also uses port redirection.

The only time I've come across port redirect on UNIX is if you use MTS without specifying a port. NT on the other hand always uses port redirection (unless you set a registry variable USE_SHARED_SOCKET).There are a whole load of documents on this on metalink, just do a search on port redirection.

Alan

Originally posted by AlanP
    The only time I've come across port redirect on UNIX is if you use MTS without specifying a port. NT on the other hand always uses port redirection (unless you set a registry variable USE_SHARED_SOCKET).There are a whole load of documents on this on metalink, just do a search on port redirection.

Alan
    Odd, I know I've seen the redirect packet in a level 16 trace in the past, but I'm unable to reproduce it now. I stand corrected.