Unanswered: Easy for some - linking

I am pretty new to Access and ran into something I know is possible but can't seem to figure out. I may have everything set up completely wrong, but thats OK...let me know.

BACKGROUND

I have several tables with forms for each

All tables have a field for "Program Names".

The master table as I imagine it contains all the "Program Names"

Other tables may or may not contain all the program names

All tables have Program Names as the Primary Key (no duplicates)

I set up relationships from each table to the master table

GOALS

I set up a form with command buttons so a user can open the form he wants. On this form is a combo box with all the Program Names from what I call the master form.

As a user calls each form, how do I take him to the record he selected. Currently it always takes me to record #1.

Your help is much appreciated.

I am learning, so hopefully eventually I will be able to give answers to other people's questions.

Thank you,
    Samandus

I think what you need is a bit of code like this:

Private Sub Command14_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Command14_Click

Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "the_name_of_the_form_you_want_to_open_here"

stLinkCriteria = "[the_name_of_the_field_to_match_here]=" & Me![Your_combo_name_here]
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_Command14_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Command14_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command14_Click

End Sub

Ok. that might look a bit daunting at first but its not too hard to understand. So on your combo box go to its properties and create an event procedure on the afterupdate event. Then type in the above code replacing 'Command14_Click' with the whatever yours is called. eg if u called your combo box 'mycombo' then you wold replace 'Command14_Click' with 'mycombo_afterupdate'.

This code opens up a form called the_name_of_the_form_you_want_to_open_here and uses a filter to bring up the selected criteria

good luck!

so u've got this:

stLinkCriteria = "[Program_names.Name_of_Program]=" & Me![Combo4]

what would work is this:

stLinkCriteria = "[Name of Program]=" & Me![Combo4]

however, it will only work if u r dealing with a bound form. If you do this when the next form opens, after some one has selected a value from combo4, if you look at the form in design view and go to the form's properties you'll see that the filter attribute will have [Name of Program]= <whatever> where <whatever> wil be the value of the combo box.

Hope this makes sense