Thread: IIS Problems

Unanswered: IIS Problems

Hi!

I have a service running in two servers.

Server 1:
    P4 2Ghz
    1,5 Gb Memory
    Windows 2000 + IIS

Server 2:
    PIII 955Mhz
    1 Gb Memory
    Windows 2000 + SQL Server 7.0

Many times a day the IIS stops to answer (See here an exemplo: http://www.patroni.brturbo.com/) and starts to answer again after some minutes (IIS dont stop... just stop to answer).

Any help?

When you say "stops to answer" what message do you get when you request a page, server not found, internal server error?

Some items to check:

-IIS web site log files
    -Event viewer
    J^ - web | email
    newsASP Developer

I don´t see any erros.

My browser just waits and waits...
    To the users is like the server was very slow.

The CPU use go to zero and after some minutes (some times less) it come back...
    See here what happening: http://www.patroni.brturbo.com/

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that when the server becomes very slow to respond to requests that the CPU usage drops to 0%. During these times check the response times from your server by doing a ping. It could be a problem external to your server. Check the response times compared to when the server is running fine.

When the CPU usage is greater than 0% what processes are using it most? It could be that the main IIS process has failed and is restarting hence the drop in CPU usage. Check the Event Viewer logs as they may be able to tell you what's causing the problem.
    J^ - web | email
    newsASP Developer

This must be a IIS bug.
    When the CPU usage is 0% I can access the server by Terminal Service... everything works but IIS.

Nothing in event viewer... just a warning about SMTP... failure delivering..

Did you see here: http://www.patroni.brturbo.com/
    This show what happening... the server is working fine and stop to answer.... it doesn´t become slow before to stop... it just stop... and come back.. like this pictures showed...

I've seen the IIS process runaway and chew up 100% of the CPU but never the opposite.

All I can suggest is some major fault finding in IIS e.g. changing the process protection level.
    Last edited by JonathanB; 07-07-03 at 18:25.
    J^ - web | email
    newsASP Developer

hey, the same thing happens to me a lot. but in my case i think its usually because of some errors in my code (especially querys etc). i would check the code again just to be safe, otherwise it probably is a problem with IIS.
    good luck