Unanswered: postgress and mysql on one server

Hello

We have just built an online system for one of our clients using a mysql database.

They are now considering building another system on the same server but this time using a Postgress database.

We are concerned that this may inhibit the perfomance of the system currently running on the server. For other reasons such as security and maintenance we are trying to discourage them from taking this route. We believe that the other system should be built on another server.

Does anyone out there have any experience of the two databases running on one machine and causing problems. Please let me know if you have!

Cheers
    Billy.

We run postgresql and mysql on the same server for our virtual hosting customers, doesn't seem to cause any problems, but then I wouldn't expect it to do so if things are kept balanced out, as long as the number of DBs and users and usage are kept as sensible levels then you won't have any more problems running both than you would just running one. The only downfall I can see is that you may have your server optimised for mySQL which may make it less optimum for pgSQL - but if you're only developing the system then it's not a problem, but if you plan to run two live systems then it is something to consider.

Thanks,

Originally posted by KarlAustin
    We run postgresql and mysql on the same server for our virtual hosting customers, doesn't seem to cause any problems, but then I wouldn't expect it to do so if things are kept balanced out, as long as the number of DBs and users and usage are kept as sensible levels then you won't have any more problems running both than you would just running one. The only downfall I can see is that you may have your server optimised for mySQL which may make it less optimum for pgSQL - but if you're only developing the system then it's not a problem, but if you plan to run two live systems then it is something to consider.

Thanks,
    This is as we suspected - not a problem to run both if DB usage is reasonable. As you say though something to consider if both systems are running with high traffic.

Cheers
    Billy.