Unanswered: Running Crystal Reports in MS Access

I have created a MS Access application that uses Crystal Reports. This runs the report from an exe file. Once the report has been run it can be exported to excel or other MS products.

The problem is this works on some of the PC's but not others.

If I look at References from the Vb window it tells me the Crystal Report Viewer Control is not installed. This I assume is connected to a number of .dll files.

Two things!!!
    1. How do I identify which .dll files are missing and

2. Can I simply copy these from one PC to another with out causing any problems to the PC I transfer them to.

3. Any other help is appreciated.

Thanks all!!!

what you are looking for are "references"
    In your MS Access application goto a code module if one exists if not create a new one but don't save when you are done.

With the code NOT in break mode, (i.e. not running) press F2 in the code window . then right click on the window and you will see an option for "References" if there are libraries missing they will appear at the top of the list check off and starting with "MISSING Crystal Reports bla bla bla library"

Once you've identified the files needed you can then copy them to the corresponding location on the other computers as needed.

Thanks for you reply.

I have identified the Crystal Report Viewer is missing, however, what I need to know is how I identify what files relate to this.

I have looked on a pc where Crystal works but it is not clear what files relate to what.

I assume these are dll files, however the naming of them is not clear.

Hi There:

That's what i'm saying. if you follow the steps to the "References" area you will see the path to the missing files required.

I have located the missing files and run the setup routine for this program.

under the references it now says that there are no missing files.

ie Crystal Report Viewer is ticked.

However the export routine still does not work. I have tried unistalling Crystal completing and reistalling but the result is the same.

I am confused!!!!

If you are missing a dll or an active x object then it WILL appear as "MISSING" in that references window. The only other thing i know of that I can suggest you try is this.

If you go back to the references window again. see if there is a crystal reports library checked off. if so then register the library again with

regsvr32.exe c:\PathToMyMyCrystalReportsLibrary

where PathToMyMyCrystalReportsLibrary is the path and filename of your library.

I have idenfied this problem relates to a dao360.dll from Crystal website

I have registered DAO360.dll (as Crystal said to so) and the location and file appear the same on both pv's.

The result = No Joy

The only difference I can see is there is a

C:\WINNIT\ServicePackFiles\i386 on the PC that works and not o the other one.

Both PC's run of Windows 2000 Professional with Service pack 3 installed

Im not to knowledgeable about this area.
    Could this be the problem?
    And how do I get that file onto the other pc, or where did it come from?

I find that suggestion from crystal is odd. DAO360.dll is a Data Access Object library commonly used in Access 97 and in newer versions of access for backwards compatibility. There is nothing pertinent to crystal reports in that library.

"Snoop" tools may offer further insight as to which libraries are missing on those machines.

Provided Answers: 1
    In my humble (and experienced) opinion, Crystal Reports is a buggy and confusing product that has never scaled properly as an enterprise application. You will save yourself untold hours of frustration if you dump it and use MS Access' reporting instead. Access, with VB code in the background if necessary, will do just about everything crystal will do with one tenth the headache.

And thats all I have to say about that.

blindman

blindman, you may be right.

However Crystal is the company preference and a number of of report writers want to use Crystal against the application.

But, yep although I have used Crystal for 5 years it is a pain in the a***,

but it earns me a good living as no one has a clue how to use it!!!!

But I still need an answer to this problem, I have just open a bottle of wine to see if this will bring me some inspiration

Provided Answers: 1
    Hey, let the report writers worry about it until they wise up. The weird thing about Crystal is how many people think they are experts at it, but then you look at their methods and they come up with the screwiest report plans. I don't consider myself a Crystal expert, but I've yet to meet a Crystal user whose reports I couldn't greatly simplify in 15 minutes. I never fail to find unnecessary subreports, poor query design, and usually a mess of individual rpt files that are all one-offs from eachother.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that your bottle of wine solution may have worked on older version of Crystal distributed on floppy disks, but the new versions on CD are impervious to soaking. You will need something much more acidic.

blindman