Unanswered: Filtering a form

I need to Form B based on info selected in Form A. After a user enters the selection criteria, they hit the 'ok' button. In the Click event of the 'ok' button, I do a

If Nz(Forms("frmParameterEntry-Students").Controls("Zip"), 0) <> 0 Then
    If strWhere <> "" Then strWhere = strWhere & " And "
    strWhere = strWhere & "[Zip] Like " & Forms("frmParameterEntry-Students").Controls("Zip") & "*"
    End If

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmStudents", , , strWhere, , acWindowNormal

If when Form B is opened, it contains all the records, not just the filtered records. So, then I tried doing the filtering on the Form B itself. I went to the Filter property for the form and did the same logic with all sorts of variations for handling the strings (Zip is a text field)

Zip Like "98*"
    "Zip Like '98*'"
    "tblStudents.Zip Like '98*'"

etc.

Same problem. All records returned. Am I missing something fundamental about filtering?

This was the approach I used:used to display a form with a filiter depending on the value selected in the main form:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdDetail_Click()
    Application.Echo False
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBSDetail", acNormal
    Forms("frmBSDetail").Filter = "BSItem = " & BSItemID
    Forms("frmBSDetail").FilterOn = True
    Forms("frmBSDetail").Controls("lblTotal").Caption = "Total for BS " & BSItemName
    Application.Echo True
    End Sub

You can also solve this problem by setting the source code for the second form at something like this :
    SELECT * FROM tblA WHERE ZIP Like Forms.[frmParameterEntry-Students].[Zip] & '*'

Basically, my forms aren't filtering, whether I filter in code or through the Filter Property of the form. AllowFilter is set to YES, but still no luck. Any ideas on why this might be?

Originally posted by cranconsult
    Basically, my forms aren't filtering, whether I filter in code or through the Filter Property of the form. AllowFilter is set to YES, but still no luck. Any ideas on why this might be?
    Real simple : if you set the filter on a form, it is automatically loaded but it is not applied. To see the effect of the filter, you must apply it, either by using the menucommand <Records><Apply Filter / Sort> or in code by setting the FilterOn property to True.