Thread: DB2 for AIX

Red face Unanswered: DB2 for AIX

Hi Everybody !

I am looking at a DB2 programming assignment under AIX platform. I have no experience using AIX but I am certified under DB2 UDB V7.1 as a DB2 for UNIX. My db2 experience is on Windows and mainframe.

Do I need to prepare for anything other than the AIX platform familiarization ?

TIA,
    Oliver

Hi,

I think u have sufficient knowledge in Db2 will be good enough.U must get used with the unix (aix) commands and shell scripting.
    I am working on both aix and windows platforms and don't find it difficult to handle.Of course there are issues which i cannot solve myself at which i go for assistance.

micky

Thanks Mickykt !!!

I am not sure if they are using a DB2 UDB, is there DB2 version prior to UDB for UNIX ? Will this be a problem if they are not using a DB2 UDB ?

Also, can you point me to any link where I can start studying UNIX - AIX ?

Thanks !

Hi,

I am not sure of the first part i am using UDB .

I think this provides some basic command and general info about AIX /UNIX.

http://publibn.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ds_rslt#1

give a try,

mickykt

Re: Thanks Mickykt !!!

If you are going to do Programming, from the db2 point of view, there is very little you need to know ... If you do dba stuff also, then you might want to know atleast some basic Unix ... Of course, you can do 'almost' all of your dba work a client also ....

When I started working on Unix(I had mainframe background), I had to know 3-4 commands:

ls -al
    cd
    ps -ef
    grep

and in vi, use of h,j,k,l,x,a,i,dd

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

DB2 for AIX prior to UDB

Thanks Sathyaram_S !!!

I'll start studying AIX using IBM redbooks. You're right, aside from programming I am expected to do some DBA stuff too.

One question left though, is there a DB2 version for UNIX prior to UDB?

Regards

Prior to DB2 UDB for AIX was DB2/6000. I believe the last version of DB2/6000 was version 2. Then it was renamed to DB2 UDB and went to version 5 (IIRC).

Of course, even the mainframe DB2 product is now called DB2 UDB, so it's always confusing if you don't always mention the OS.

One thing you might want to do is to get Linux (free) and get a demo copy of DB2 for Linux (free) and install these on a PC. You will have to reinstall every 90 days, but this will get you a little closer to DB2 UDB as it works on AIX as compared to Windows, without actually having access to an AIX machine.

Re: DB2 for AIX prior to UDB

I would suggest you to read some Unix book, which explains the Unix fundamentals and commands to use ... Once you are comfortable with these concepts, you will be able to easily understand and appreciate the AIX redbooks ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by oliver
    Thanks Sathyaram_S !!!

I'll start studying AIX using IBM redbooks. You're right, aside from programming I am expected to do some DBA stuff too.

One question left though, is there a DB2 version for UNIX prior to UDB?

Regards
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

It is probably not necessary to respond to a thread that is 6 years old. This must be some kind of record.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390