Unanswered: Access 2000 compaction

I'm wondering if the compact on close option in access 2000 is such a good thing. All the documentation i've read seems to say that this can solve so many corruption problems.

I have several applications that use access 2000 as a front end and sql server 2000 backend. The front ends are shared over a windows 2000 network structure, and i'm getting alot of corruption from using the compact on close option.

I know that it's the compact on close, or something to do with that, because when the database is corrupted it leaves behind a generic db1.mdb in the network folder.

Does anyone have any opinions on this, or any experience with this ???

Thanks

Re: Access 2000 compaction

Originally posted by tmdarby
    I'm wondering if the compact on close option in access 2000 is such a good thing. All the documentation i've read seems to say that this can solve so many corruption problems.

I have several applications that use access 2000 as a front end and sql server 2000 backend. The front ends are shared over a windows 2000 network structure, and i'm getting alot of corruption from using the compact on close option.

I know that it's the compact on close, or something to do with that, because when the database is corrupted it leaves behind a generic db1.mdb in the network folder.

Does anyone have any opinions on this, or any experience with this ???

Thanks

I copy my front ends to PC, because if I shared it over network it work few days and then it is corrupted. I have code to check out latest version on client and it copy new version if needed. That solution also give me possibity create new version of client anytime I want because nobody is using client (it's only "master" copy of client).

My backend Access database is compacted every day. Data must compct regulary or data may corrup. Client not need compact - only copy new version if it not work properly.